Second 👣-edited

"These pancakes are an absolute heaven, Mr. Matvey, but you shouldn't have bothered..."

"Nonsense, nonsense. There are so many of them just for the three of us. Eat them all and if you want more, don't be shy to grab another one from the plate. I will leave them on the table so you can serve yourself anytime."

I stuffed my mouth full, muffling the groan which was threatening to betray my annoyance. All my life I thought Ryder was a raging homophobe. He hated me for being gay and I hated him for being a homophobe. But this person next to me right now seemed to be anything but homophobic.

My papa was a crossdresser and my dad was a trans man and many people had judged them and gave them a hard time over the years. When I was young I would hear people calling them names on the street, teachers would talk to me as if they pitied me for having "mentally ill" parents and kids would make fun of me, saying I will grow up to be a "freak" just like my parents. Every single word, and every single bruise embroidering mine and sometimes even papa's skin would fuel my hate against homophobia.

However, Ryder has been nothing but polite and respectful towards my parents. He was playing the good boy card, trying to win them over in order to get this job. But I would not let him get away with it. I would show my parents his true colors.

"So, Ryder, as you can see I have two fathers." I said, sipping on my tea."What is your opinion towards homosexuality?"

Ryder gulped his last piece of pancake, offering my father a small grateful nod.

"Well, I am okay with gay people. They can do what they want with their lives as long as they don't get me involved in their... uhm... business."

This is what I assumed Ryder would say. Or something between the lines: "I accept them, but I don't agree with their lifestyle." But no, he had to furrow his brows and talk with such gravity it made my dads nod throughout his whole speech:

"I find it sad that being gay hasn't been normalized already. You never ask a person 'Hey, my parents are straight. Are you okay with it?'. Gay persons always have to seek acceptance while straight people are born with it. This is not only sad, but also unfair. And the fact that society has fueled the flames of homophobia all these years is simply idiotic. We've been taught to hate on love. Can you hear how absurd this sounds?"

I was shocked... stunned into silence. Was this boy even real? Did he even hear himself? How-how hypocritical and fake he sounded!

But he succeeded to fool my fathers. My papa even smiled broadly at him, placing another pancake on his plate.

"It is true, hun. My love is harmless, but homophobes are not. However, the world is slowly changing. I hope in a few dozens of years homophobia will become taboo."

"We are slowly-very slowly- getting there."

My nose wrinkled in disgust at Ryder's fake responses, my lips sealing once again over my cup of tea before speaking.

"But what about cross-dressers? I recall you weren't too fond of them."

Ryder's complexion darkened, his fists clenching so hard his knuckled turned white.

I sipped on my tea.

"Saying I am not too fond of cross-dressers would be hypocritical as I am the one who buys my little brother's skirts and make up, Carter."

The tea suddenly scraped against my throat, making me cough vehemently. My dad stretched on his chair, hitting my back twice with his palm.

"Are you okay, son?"