Sixteenth 👣-edited

"It was nice knowing you, guys. You have my number so you can call me anytime. Maybe we could all go out for drinks one of these days if you are free."

I nodded, gasping for air when Liva clasped me in a tight embrace.

"Of course! Thank you very much for everything. We owe you." I responded, crossing my own arms around the slightly chubby girl, feeling content with how her soft body felt in my arms. Her embrace was surprisingly homey.

After Liva finished her goodbyes, Mason and Kyle took our luggage out of their trunk and Ryder helped me climb into my wheelchair. Afterwards the guys talked for a bit with my dads, exchanging names and sharing a few polite greetings.

When the three left, the politeness flew out the window along with them. My dads ushered me and Ryder inside the house and after they made sure we each had a cup of warm tea and a blanket over our shoulders the nagging began.

"Where have you guys been?" My dad started, holding his hands crossed around his chest in that parentally threatening manner. Papa had a defensive stance as well, his arms resting on his hips.

"At Kathy's?" I said with a risen brow but the quickly shut up when papa glared at me.

"Weren't you supposed to stay there until tomorrow?"

I bit my lower lip, trying to find a quick excuse for mine and Ryder sudden leave. I didn't think my fathers would be so pissed about it.

"I was done with my check ups. Was there something else I was supposed to do at Kathy?"

My papa pinned me with his hard stare again.

"You promised to spend some time with Tommy, Carter. He started crying and throwing a tantrum because you left without saying goodbye. You didn't even answer Kathy's phone when she called you. "

"I didn't have signal." I responded back, feeling papa's anger rise gradually. His foot kept on moving over the floor in a nervous manner.

"Why did you leave though? Couldn't you wait one more day before you left? Was it so hard to spend some time with your family, Carter? I understand they are homophobic but Kathy said you didn't fight with her or anything. She thought that maybe something happened to Ryder's allergy and you went to hospital. If not for you missing luggage she would have went to look for you. You made her-and us- worry so much. And after she helped you with your appointment-"

"Didn't Greg tell her what happened?" Why would he though? I muttered the last part for myself, looking down at my lap.

"Greg wasn't at home either. Why, what happened?"

I shrugged my shoulders, not knowing if I should tell my dads what happened. They had enough problems already. However, I didn't have time to come up with a decision when my pops took my silence as a response.

"Greg always picks up on you, Carter, you shouldn't listen to everything he says. You should just ignore him. You are always seeing the dark side of the world. If you'd stop overthinking, maybe you'd be happier."

I bit my tongue, glaring at the carpet instead of directing my frustration towards my father. My dad came to my rescue though because he started asking question about Ryder's truck.

"Why you left is not that important, but where is your car, boys? Who are those people who dropped you off?"

"Our car broke down. Those people found us and gave us a ride."

Papa scoffed, walking his hand through his hair, "How am I not surprised? Of course your car broke down on a storm like this!"

"It has been very careless of you to leave on this weather." Dad spoke up, looking at me and then at Ryder with a stern look. "My son is an idiot, I am sure of it, but you Ryder... what was in your mind when you helped him leave on a weather like this?"