Twenty-fourth👣-edited

Two days had passed since Carter left me that note and now I was anxiously waiting on the porch of the Matveys’ residence, my finger lingering over the doorbell but not having enough courage to press it. That morning after Carter left, he sent me a message in which he reassured me this wasn’t a sign of revulsion or “disownment”. He literally said ‘Bitch, I shall not hear you overthought about anything these two days. I am not disowning you; I am just giving you a break while I do this and that.’ I didn’t know what ‘this and that’ meant, but his message was clearly not enough to put my negative thoughts to a stop. 

     My family didn’t help smothering these worries either. 

      Two days ago, aunt Debbie asked me if I got any sign from Carter because she had a little talk with him and he seemed distressed. She didn’t want to tell me the origin of his concerns, but I assumed their conversation had something do to with Carter’s sudden leave. Either that, either my aunt knew what made him leave without telling me. 

     I knew however that Carter was not rejecting me because he left me goodbye kisses and hugs... lots of them, from the twins and from Ollie. 

     “These are for you from X-man.” Mike said once they were done hugging me, making my eyes widen for a moment before I started to ambush them with questions. I found out that Carter told my brothers to smother me with kisses and hugs once I woke up. 

      To be honest, Carter had been very thoughtful and sweet and from the surprise kisses and hugs to the messages he sent me I started to believe he might not reject me. This didn’t mean I was any less nervous. 

     Especially when I had a pretty demoralizing discussion with Ivy last night. 

     I finally found the opportunity to confront Ivy about his rude behaviour towards Carter. He kept on avoiding me or responding my nagging with sass and sarcasm but then I barged into him fighting with his best friend, Aubrie, and he said something that made me turn 180 degrees and see something I never thought about before. 

....

Hearing noises from Ivy’s room I decided to check out what the conflict was about. Ivy was dressed in a plain long shirt and a pair of jeans, holding a scissor in his hand while Aubrie pulled on same arm with his smaller palms. My brother seemed angry and annoyed while his friend was begging him to put the scissor down. 

     “What is happening here?” I asked, making Aubrey flinch and look in my direction but never making eye contact with me. He  was afraid of bigger men who reminded him of his father. We have met him at Child Protective Services department after our parents left and they took us into their custody until they could find a relative or orphanage to send us to. Aubrey had arrived there the same night as we did and this strong bond formed between him and Ivy. While our aunt took us in, Aubrey was sent to a foster family but luckily, they enrolled him to the same school as Ivy and the boys were able to find each other again. They became best friends and I’ve never seen them fight... well, until now. 

     “Nothing. We’re just two guys minding our own businesses. Do you want us to teach you how it’s done?” Ivy responded defensively, making use of this short moment of distraction to break free from Aubrey’s grasp. When he proceeded towards bathroom, Aubrey caught his elbow and tried to pull him to a stop. 

      “Ryder, help me! Ivy wants to cut his hair.” The smaller boy said, yelping when Ivy pushed him away and made him bump into the dresser. I took him by his shoulder and pulled him into me, rubbing his arm which he was holding at his chest with a wince. 

   “Are you okay? Did you get hurt?”

     Aubrey shook his head, looking up at me and freezing. Understanding he was uncomfortable with my closeness, I backed away.