Twenty-seventh 👣-edited

It was mid-afternoon when Carter and I finally rejoined the rest of the family. My aunt and his dads were staring at us suggestively but contrary to their believes, we just spent our time talking, cuddling and... yeah, kissing.

     I finally got to kiss Carter and it was bliss. It was like we couldn’t get enough of each other and I wanted us to stay like this, to feel like this for a long, long time. 

       "Are you sure you don't want to eat anything else? Turkey? How about pudding? Danny, do you want anything?"

     I was brought back to reality by my aunt’s voice. We were at the dinner table and this was the tenth time she asked the same question in the last sixty minutes.

       "Thank you, Debbie, but I am full."

       "So am I." were the men's responses and my aunt would have insisted more if the doorbell didn't ring right at that moment.

      My aunt turned towards me.

      "Ryder, sweetheart, could you please go and check who it is?"

      I nodded and stood up, slaloming between the running twins. Carter was making weird baby noises at Ollie and Ivy was watching 'Home alone'.

      “Merry Christmas, you filthy animal.” He mouthed along with Kevin, his cheeks puffed by the terrifying amount of food he had stuffed in his mouth. “And a Happy New Year.” I heard him whisper before he chocked and started coughing. 

     Still paying attention to his coughing, I made my way to the door and pressed the handle idly, opening it with nearly as much enthusiasm as a sloth. Enthusiasm that died entirely when I saw Simon standing on the threshold. 

     “Simon? What are you-“ I wasn’t even able to finish my sentence because Simon stumbled forward and fell in my arms. If I didn’t catch him from under his armpits, he would have collapsed at the ground.

      “Simon!” Someone yelped and I looked beyond Simon’s shoulder to see a familiar boy standing on the porch of the house, his face stained of tears as he rushed to help me stabilize Simon.

     His yelp must have been a bit too noisy because sounds of steps could be heard from the living room and soon Ivy barged into the hall. He was followed by the grownups and a shocked looking Carter.

      “Simon?”

      Carter’s shock transferred to me when Ivy was the first one to call Simon’s name and rush towards us, cupping Simon’s face in his palms. Then he turned towards the smaller boy and glared.

    “Who are you?”

    The boy glared right back.

     “I am Eric, Simon’s brother. Now can you please stop questioning me and let us come in?”

     I nodded and picked Simon up bridal style, letting Simon lead the younger boy inside. Then we all made our way to the living room, Carter’s face as he looked at me carrying his ex in my arms making my chest sting a bit. He looked hurt, but why? Was he jealous? If yes, of who?