Chapter 24 - You Big Baby

Willow

He wouldn't pick up his phone or respond to any of the texts I sent him. Barry told me what happened today when they confronted the meta-human and I could only imagine what Ralph was going through...

When they arrived at the vehicle the meta had already stopped it and retrieved the third piece. A caveman statue that was also being shipped in the armoured vehicle slammed his bat into the back of Barry's head and knocked him across the street.

The meta fled into her car and tried to get away while The Flash was down but Dibny extended his arm and grabbed onto the bumper with one hand and with the other held onto the armoured car to keep himself from slipping.

It worked, her car was held back. Barry stood up and charged at the statue again and when he hit it he had no effect because a statue doesn't feel anything. The caveman took its bat again and hit him, this time Barry flew into the pole supporting the power lines above. The wooden column started to fall and sent sparks flying into the bystanders watching.

Barry saw what was going to happen and told Ralph to get the people out of the way, but in order to do so, he would have to let the meta go. Ralph didn't listen to him...

A young girl running away from the falling post tripped and fell on the ground, the wooden pillar crashing on top of her.

The girl was still breathing when Barry got to her but she was unconscious. They caught the metahuman, but to do so a child was injured when they could've saved her.

Since Ralph didn't return to S.T.A.R labs with Barry I knew where he would go, I was pretty sure it was the only place he could go. I knew he was hurting, hell, if I was in his shoes I would be an emotional wreck. I owed it to him to help him through this, he was there for me, I was going to be there for him.

I stood outside the familiar office door. Even though I have stood outside this door multiple times it felt so different. The red writing under his name was erased, for some reason, the glass felt so empty without it.

I turned the nob and peeked my head through. "Dibny?" I quietly asked for permission to enter.

He was silently sitting behind his desk, facing the window in the dark room. "If you're here to tell me I screwed up, letting that little girl get hurt, trust me, I know" he sighed and I solemnly entered the room. "I keep feeling all these feelings, guilt, remorse... heartburn," I approached his desk silently.

"Well, I think I can help with 2 out of the three," I light-heartedly smiled and noticed the files littering his desk. "What are those?"

He took a deep breath, "pass cases, those were simpler times. Husband stepping out on wife, wife stepping out on husband, husband stepping out on wife and husband," he paused, "that one was a little less simple."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a familiar article and I reached for it. I picked it up and asked, "And this?"

He slowly turned around to see what i was referring to, "That, that one would have to be the most difficult case I ever had," he stared at the folder containing my file. I looked through the news articles that made up my nightmares, the ones declaring his fatality, the cards I received condoning his death and pictures of him before the explosion that were caught on traffic cameras. "For 5 years while I was a P.I. all I had to do was get the dirt, not sticking around to see what happened after I left. You were the first client in years that I genuinely cared about, the first client I saw the repercussions of my actions with."

"what was so special about me?" I wondered and sat down next to him. He turned to face me and placed his hands on my shoulders, looking me dead in the eyes. We were inches apart and I couldn't help letting my eyes trail down to his lips.

"Because you never lost hope." My tense brown eyes made contact with his and I didn't even notice how close we were together. Before I could blink, his gentle lips were pressed against mine and my eyes expanded with shock, my first instinct was to pull back but I didn't because for some reason it just felt.. felt so right. He pulled away for a second and stared at my eyes searching for approval.

"Aw come here you big baby," I smiled and grabbed his collar, pulling him into another kiss. He chuckled lightly and I could feel him smirking into the kiss as I wrapped my arms around his neck.

The kiss lasted for what felt like eternity yet too early before I finally pulled away to breathe. I leaned back I smiled at him, I could feel my face turning bright red.

"Wow," he smiled. "You sure know how to cheer a guy up," he joked and I quietly laughed.

"I think you needed it," I smiled again. My heart felt like it was about to explode in my chest and I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. Who knew Dibny was a good kisser?

He chuckled lightly and after a moment he asked, "How do you think Allen does it?

"Does what?"

"Be The Flash, protect a whole city, always save the day."

"Well, from what I've seen, he doesn't always save the day, and when that happens he leans on the people around him."

Dibny paused, "you mean... like you?"

"Yeah, Ralph I can be that person," I promised and let the smile on my face grow even larger. "I mean, if you want..."

"You would do that for me?" He asked surprisingly.

"I will make it my personal mission to protect your heart," I laughed and realized that my heart was still fluttering from before, I took a deep breath to calm myself down... it was just one kiss... okay two... but it's not like your marrying the guy or anything.

—————————————

OooooU Cue the foreshadowing....

😏

Hope y'all enjoyed that short but sweet chapter :) would love some feed back with your thoughts...