Cordelia's Late Night (Guard Me Sherlock)

I quietly shut the door behind me, doing my utmost not to make a noise as I left the flat. If I was lucky, Mycroft wouldn't realize I left our bed. He had been adamant about me slowing down with my work, worried that I was pushing myself too hard. But I enjoyed my work and I didn't want to let anyone down. 

Making my way down the dark street, I hailed a cab and got in, giving the address I needed. I fought back a yawn as I put my hair up in a messy bun. I hated admitting that Mycroft was right. It happened often. But he was. My body felt tired due to all the extra projects I had been doing lately. Such as this late night one.

"Thank you." Giving the cab driver a smile, I payed him and got out, heading into a nearby alley. Finding the back entrance, I pulled open the door. I was almost immediately grabbed as I entered.

"Ms. Reid! How wonderful to see you! Thank you so much for coming on such short notice!" The venue owner grabbed my arm, vigorously shaking it. Her makeup was heavy and her outfit was revealing. Her perfume was stronger than her grip. 

I returned her smile. "Of course. I wouldn't miss this opportunity for anything. And please, I told you before to just call me Cordelia."

Not even sleep, apparently.

"To think that the Cordelia Reid considers my club to be an unmissable opportunity!" Placing her hands on her cheeks, the woman blushed. I laughed at her attitude. She had gotten in touch with me a while ago, asking me to preform at her club in order to draw more business. I had a soft spot for small businesses, especially those of the entertainment variety.

I was taken to a dressing room and given an outfit to change into. After putting on the revealing, yet classy outfit, I began doing my hair and makeup. Without knocking, the woman entered again, clapping when she saw me.

"You. Look. Marvelous! Simply wonderful!" Setting down a large, overflowing jewelry box, she began holding up pieces to me, seeing which looked best.

"Thank you so much. I'm looking forward to this evening's events." I weaved a string of green pearls through my hair, feeling satisfied with my appearance so far.

"Did you have time to look over the videos I sent you?" She seemed a little worried as she wrapped a choker around my neck, fastening the clasp.

"I did. I memorized them fully." I recalled the videos she mentioned. They showed the dance and songs that she wanted me to preform. I practiced them after I finished all my other work, committing them to memory. And now I got to preform at a burlesque club for the first time in my life. As much as I was looking forward to it, a large part of me wished Mycroft would be here for it. Having the man I loved in the audience always made me happier.

"I'm sorry that we couldn't have you in the building to practice, but you have a very full schedule. I'm sure you'll do perfectly regardless." Finishing getting me ready, the woman ushered me into the hall, leading me to the dark backstage. I watched a few of the other burlesque dancers preforming. I enjoyed the stylishness and classiness of it all. The rest of the room was dim as the audience watched from tables. It was a very pleasant atmosphere for me. 

As soon as I was introduced, I walked onto the stage, my manner and expression changing instantly. I felt alive as I began my performance. Every so often, my body did ache but I ignored it. I wouldn't stick around long once I fulfilled my obligation here. I'd go home to bed. I'd manage to get a little sleep before I woke up to make Mycroft breakfast before he went to work.

I was finally able to take a break after the fourth song. I gave a gracious bow and left the stage. I barely registered the owner praising me as my eyes drooped due to the sudden change in brightness. The stage had been wonderfully illuminated, contrasting the darkness of the area I was in now. My drowsiness was threatening to take me over as I forced a smile on my face, willing myself awake.