Babysitting Kirika Prologue

I didn't mind collecting the job requests from the shrine. I was typically able to line it up for when I did late night deliveries for the store so it worked out well where timing was a factor. I wore my dark coat so I blended in with the shadows better. 

The shrine was just outside the city. Going in the day was too risky due to people dropping their requests in. At night no one really walked around this far out of the city, even men who weren't as big of a target, so it was perfect. Of course tonight was the exception.

Late night request for the vigilantes? Must be bad. 

I kept hidden a little ways away from the shrine and watched the figure standing in front of it. Only three people ever emptied it: Me, Asagi and Kagura. Makoto did occasionally, but only when me and the other two weren't available. It wasn't any of the guys but it also didn't look like anyone I recognized in town. I may not interact with people very often on my own and know many names besides regular customers, the vigilantes, Haru, Ritsu, the Shinsengumi and, begrudgingly, Toru and Tsubaki, I could recognize someone from Nagasaki fairly easily. I walked around enough during the day for deliveries and at night for jobs but this person was a complete unknown. I bet Ukyo knew them at least

The person wasn't placing anything in the small shrine. Not an offering or request that I could see and I had a direct view of the area. They were just standing still in front of it. Staring. I didn't get scared by much but even I could admit this was a little eerie. And I once had a target who wore a coat made from the hair of women he had scalped. This somehow felt worse. 

There was no way to tell who the person actually was. Their hood was pulled low over their face but every so often I felt like I could see a facial feature or two. It was frustrating not to know. I was also pissed about how long they were taking to do what they wanted because I had places to be. Ukyo knew I would be picking up the requests and asked me to dinner. Kagura said he'd join us after he closed the store for the night, but at this rate he was bound to meet up with Ukyo at Haru's before I even showed up.

Come on, hurry it up already. Don't care what you're doing but I'm sure you can do it somewhere else.

I let out a silent sigh from where I hid in the trees and continued waiting. My focus must have slipped for a moment because when I looked back at the shrine after what I thought was just a blink, the person was gone. I looked around the area to be sure and didn't see them. 

Not caring and mildly thankful to finally be able to get my job done, I quickly approached the shrine and took out the requests. I made sure to leave the offerings meant for the shrine though. Ukyo did this once and hurried so quickly that he accidentally took those as well. It was a rare sight seeing him look so upset about something. Asagi and I quickly got it sorted out. We gave blessings to the offerings as apology for removing them and returned them to the shrine where we gave another prayer and apology. 

The air around me changed in an instant. I placed the requests in my bag and whipped around but my reflexes where too slow and my body was grabbed from behind. I struggled but the arms were strong and unfamiliar. The person was able to counter every attempt I made to escape them. They didn't fight or make me feel in danger. I relaxed fairly quickly in the arms which for me was cause for concern. But that didn't come either. I felt at peace and calm. It was as if I was at Himuro Shrine. The energy there always put me at ease and comforted me. 

The person holding me didn't speak and I sure as hell wasn't going to start the conversation with them. I heard a laugh as gentle as a bell and felt something wash through me. A chill passed over every inch of me. Not a cold chill but one that felt really really good. The arms vanished from around me and I could no longer feel anyone nearby. I was alone with the new feeling.