[29]

"So you're saying we're related?" (Y/N) asked slowly, still trying her best to process the almost absurd information. Even after they took a walk and stopped by her favorite bridge to look down at the pond below, she still couldn't wrap her mind around the thought of actually having a sister.

Genna nodded, smiling warmly down at (Y/N). "Yes. We are."

This had been the seventeenth time (Y/N) had asked that and Genna replied calmly every single time. She was patient and very paternal with young (Y/N).

A gust of wind swept by the two. (Y/N) tucked her hair behind her ears and continued staring down at the still pond.

"Look this is a lot to take in but--"

"Alot to take in?" (Y/N) asked dryly, finally turning to Genna. She chuckled, though there was no humor in her eyes. "You have no idea what you're saying."

"(Y/N), I know I was gone for a while. But I'm here now, isn't all that matters? We're together again, we can finally be a famil--"

"Tell me. Where were you?"

Genna opened her mouth to reply, but nothing came out. She didn't know how to respond to (Y/N)'s question. In truth, it made her feel more guilty.

"You're saying you're my sister. I'm perfectly fine with that. But answer this, where were you? Where were you for the last six years? Where were you when I needed a girl talk? . . . Where were you when mom and dad died?"

Genna blinked rapidly to stop the tears that were welling in her eyes to slide down her cheeks. She had searched six year to find (Y/N), she was so busy searching that she didn't prepare herself for what she might find. Hearing (Y/N)'s voice crack, watching as tears welled up in her haunted eyes made the guilt almost unbearable.

She stepped forward and (Y/N) flinched away. Genna tried not to let the hurt show in her eyes.

"(Y/N), I-I was young, and-and I made a mistake--"

"Where were you when I was alone? I-I was so alone. I didn't think I had anyone left in the world. In a world with over a billion people and a small ten year old never felt so alone. Answer me. W-where were you?!" Tears were streaming down (Y/N)'s cheeks and she wiped them with the back of her hand angrily.

Genna felt her throat tightened and her chest was all of a sudden heavy with guilt and pain.

"(Y/N), please--"

" . . . I-I had to watch them die. Did you know that? I had to watch those monsters slaughter them like animals! Where were you when all this was happening?"

Genna was speechless and horrified. She didn't know that. It took everything in her not to sob her eyes out. Tears trickled down her cheeks. Her lips moved to form a coherent speech but no sound. escaped her lips.

"I needed you then, Genna." (Y/N) chocked out, tears blurring her vision. "I needed my big sister then. Not now. I don't want, or need you in my life now. You're six years late."

Before Genna could even think of a response (Y/N) had turned and ran away. 

Genna bottom lip trembled and tears fell from eyes. She felt ashamed of herself. She spent six years looking but it wasn't her top priority because she just assumed someone had fostered (Y/N). Genna lived a normal life in America, married to a rich lawyer. She assumed wrong when news came that no one knew of any family that took her under custody. That email was left in her mailbox for months. When she finally decided to check all her unchecked emails, right at the bottom, she stumbled across the shocking news.

For the next few months she hired a few people to look for (Y/N) in Tokyo while she lived in America, hearing news from the people she hired once in a while.

She was ashamed because she wasn't in a rush to find her little sister. Her little sister that lost her parents when she was ten and had to live by herself all alone for this long. Genna was selfish and she deserved the treatment she was receiving from (Y/N). 

(Y/N) had ran for what felt like an hour but was probably a few minutes. Tears kept blurring her vision and she'd bump into a few pedestrians as she passed but she kept running. She wasn't going back to Anteiku, not when all of them were probably waiting for her with questions.

She had only another person in mind.

She made a few turns, bumping into strangers, she ignored their scream of profanities. The sun was just setting as she climbed up the stairs to reach his apartment floor.

The only time she rested her legs was when she stood by his front door. She wiped her tears and stared at the door. The only reason she was here was because she needed comfort and somehow, he gave the best hugs, whether he was aware of that or not.

She drew in a deep breath and gently rapped her knuckles against the door.

The first time she she knocked, there was no response. Her anticipation increase. She tried knocking again, this time a bit more urgent.

Still no response or sound of movement. She chewed on her bottom lip, coming to conclusion that he was probably out.

She sighed and turned around, feeling more down than she was before.

She froze when the door ripped open.

"Shrimp?" He sounded confused and a bit shocked at seeing her.

(Y/N) turned around as quickly as her human body could allow her and jumped on Ayato, she wrapped her arms around his waist and burried her face in his chest as she broke off into sobs.

Ayato staggered backwards, stunned. He sucked in a deep breath and looked down. His eyes softened when he saw her in such a fragile state. He sighed and wrapped his arms around her shaking frame, placing his chin on the top of her head.

(Y/N) sobbed, not caring that it sounded unattractive, or that she was getting his shirt wet. She was upset, confused and conflicted. And Ayato gave the best hugs.