20

Carter's POV

I was back in New York after a week in California. I just finished discussing with the marketing team the hotel's summer getaway promo when my personal lawyer and very good friend, Jim Howard called.

"Miss Niarchos is not interested in buying the museum anymore."

"Are you sure?" I was surprised at the news. Isn't it the reason why she was marrying Zion to get hold of her trust fund so she could buy the museum? 

"Definitely. Mr. Murphy informed me yesterday. He called to offer you the property."

My lips twisted a little, I got very suspicious. "How much?"

"At market value."

"At market value? That's unbelievable."

I could not believe that the old man finally gave in. "What made him offer his property at a reasonable price?"

"He said he needed the money asap. He's leaving for Thailand to marry the girl he met online." My lawyer answered. 

That was another shock. He was already in his seventies but still it did not stop him from falling in love again. Good thing also that love changed him. 

"Talk to him tomorrow Jim before he'd change his mind. We need to get hold of that property immediately so we can start building the hotel."

"I'll do that, no worries. I'll start drawing the contract so he could sign it immediately."

"Good."

The moment I hung up the phone, I was lost in my own world. My thoughts were focused on Athena. 

What the hell is she up to? If she's not interested of the museum, what's her reason in marrying Zion? She wouldn't need her trust fund anymore.

Love. She loves Zion, there's no doubt about that. Eversince she was young, the name of Zion keeps going out of her mouth, and I was used to hearing it. Dammit! Why it hurts a lot now?

I suddenly felt so alone and empty. I was not happy at all and it was affecting my job. My trip to California was not helping at all. The more I went out hanging out with friends and the ladies, I became more depressed and miserable. I never felt like this before and I did not like it. It was like dragging myself off the bed every morning.

I left the office at eleven and headed home, but ended up going straight to my parents mansion. I saw my mom, Chloe Petrakis Monteiro at the balcony eating her lunch alone, as usual. Dad would not be home during lunch, being so occupied in the office attending meetings and running the Monteiro businesses.

"Why are you here?" Mom's perfectly curved eyebrows snapped together. 

"I miss being home." I sat down across her and looked at the very blue swimming pool. Maybe I should take a dip later.

"Aww..." Mom put down her fork and stood up, moving her chair closer to mine. Her hand rubbed my back in a comforting caress. "Tell me what's wrong."

I heaved a long sigh and leaned my back against the chair to stop her from caressing my back. 

"I'm okay. There's nothing wrong mom. I just feel tired lately."

"You're dad told me that you've been drinking. Do you have a problem? Tell me about it. You know I get so worried easily. Is it about the business? Or a woman?"

I rolled my eyes and took the plate that the maid gave me. 

"Who is the woman? Anyone I know? You're not serious about the lawyer, right?"