22

Athena's POV

I was crying so hard. I did not even know the exact reason. I could not even say that because I lost my ultimate love, because that was exactly not true. In fact, I was relieved that finally, everything came to place.

I was set free of my childhood fantasies of marrying Zion, while Zion broke his shell and came to realize that he still loved Claire.

I suddenly had a very empty feeling deep inside me. I had never felt so alone. I longed for someone who would love me for who I am, unconditionally. The question is who?

I thought of Carter, the man who lingered in my mind lately and kept on appearing in my dreams. That single kiss that changed everything. But just like Zion, he found his true love and got engaged.

Oh my goodness, that even made me cry harder. Self-pity and insecurities sinked in.

I could never compete on the likes of Jenna Judge... or even Claire who got the classy beauty, and bachelor's degree, masters degree, PhD or whatever one call's it. My brain was as slow as a turtle. Even a short paragraph made me dizzy and heavy pressure in my eyes whenever I forced myself to read it. Algebra, geometry, calculus, fractions, square roots or even a simple multiplication was like being thrown inside a cotton candy machine maker.

And now, Carter coming to rescue me made me feel worse. He was the last person I needed to comfort me and see my vulnerable side. For heaven's sake, if only he'd know that he was half of the reason why I was crying, how would he react? But he was numb of my feelings. He was here because Zion asked him too.

But my emotion was like a rollercoaster that shifted so easily. All of a sudden I was like a giddy teenage girl when Carter told me that he was not engaged with Jenna Judge, I mean... Justice.

Yeah, I was relieved... very very relieved like a thorn had been pulled out from my chest. If only I forced myself to read the whole article in the papers rather than relying on the bold caption, 'They're engaged,' I should have saved myself from many sleepless nights and heartaches. Jenna Justice was engaged to another man.

"There's a new Filipino fastfood restaurant in Manhattan, you wanna check it out?" Carter suggested. "We can stroll in the park afterwards."

"Sure! I'm already a bit hungry. What about these paper roses?" I could not scoop everything in my arms, if only we had a paper bag.

He gave me that very cute smile that made my heart leap with joy. "Just leave it. I'll make more later."

I nodded and smiled back at him. I could not utter a word afraid that I would say something stupid. He made all my insides turned into melted marshmallows.

We had an early dinner in a new Filipino fastfood restaurant Jollibee. Carter made me try almost everything they had in the menu. Chickenjoy, spaghetti, jolly hotdog, burger steak, peach mango pie and chocolate fudge sundae.

"I used to eat in Jollibee a lot in the Philippines. I missed this."

"It's really good. The chicken is my favorite... and also the spaghetti."

He smiled and started talking about his experiences in the Philippines. Growing up and studying in a Catholic school in the Philippines. He was greatly influenced by the Filipino culture, including his values in life.

I enjoyed listening to him and I learned too much about him. Aside from that, his constant smile and glances mesmerized me. The more he talked, the more I was falling for him. Carter was actually a very simple kind and humble man. Just too bad, we started our hating game that made us refuse to understand each other before.

We went for a stroll afterwards. We walked around Central park and continued talking. I told him about my struggles in reading, the many tutors I had, attending a special class for dyslexia and how it improved my learning abilities.

"I remember when I was young, I had a doctor's kit. I always wanted to be a doctor. I admired how confident they were in talking to their patients, diagnosing the diseases, running to save lives and being able to help people. Unfortunately, I couldn't even pass a simple science subject like biology. Dad donated an assorted dinosaur skeletons in the school so the teacher considered giving me a passing grade." I let out a short laugh but Carter just looked at me.

"We don't always get what we want in life Athena. Life is not perfect. But you have to consider this. There are many people who will never have what you have right now."

What he said stopped me. He was absolutely right. I was born so lucky and blessed. I had a wonderful loving family who gave me everything that I wanted. I was surrounded with many friends, relatives, staff and mentors who supported me. I could travel anywhere in the world anytime I wanted to, hang out with friends and connect with different people. I could do whatever I wanted in life.

"Thank you Carter. You made me realize how fortunate I am."

"Of course you are, and you know what, the more I talked to you, the more I realized that you are indeed a very smart woman."

"Come on, you don't have to flatter me."

"Being smart is not always about being good in reading, math solving and analysis that you learn everyday in school. You learn it also by experience -- and that's what you have from interacting with people and having many friends."

"That's the most beautiful thing that I've ever heard. I hope you mean it Carter, because I believed you."

His gaze was as soft as a caress as he continued to look at me. "I mean it Athena. You're also very beautiful inside out and that matters the most. Just do the right thing, do the best you can and always show to people that you care."

That night, we talked a lot... mostly meaningful conversations as we sat on the bench eating popcorn, drinking soda and watched the beautiful fountain in front of us.

No flirting, merely talking and sharing our thoughts, passions and dreams.

**Don't forget to vote, comment and share to your friends**