twenty.

「 I 」 TWENTY

I TWENTY.

her heart. it was beating faster than it had been when he was sobering up beside her bed.

it hadn't been beating this fast when he'd first kissed her, sending rays of sunlight through the side of her neck.

her heart was outrunning itself from one week prior, when she had been trying to play piano like she was sober.

because things had always felt right with the boy in the driver's seat, like nothing else could be happening in those moments.

but right here, right now,

her parents thought she was in bed, or at the piano, or on the couch in the living room.

and she was in a dark-haired boy's car going who-knows-where until who-knows-when.

what if her parents looked for her? woke up earlier than usual? called for her, not because they were concerned but because they wanted something from her?

then to hell with them. she was always exactly where she was supposed to be when she was with Morrison. there was no doubt to be had.

soft late-night music was playing from the speakers, and she wondered what he had thought on the drive to her house. what had made him decide to strike out at almost two a.m. for her.

maybe she had asked for him without realizing it, begged the stars who relayed her plea back to him.

and he was driving one-handed, and his free hand was tangled ungracefully with hers, and he was stroking the back of her hand with his thumb, and she knew he knew.

he knew what the past week had been for her.

she hadn't been able to get ahold of him, but she didn't have to. he knew.

so she had no idea where they were going. what's more, going back home could mean absolutely anything. worst case scenario: she'd spend the remainder of her summer with only a taunting electric piano as company.

but it didn't matter, because in the now, she was in the perfect place with the perfect boy at the perfect time, and, as usual,

she wouldn't choose anything else.

END OF PART ONE.