vii.

「 II 」 SEVEN

II SEVEN.

she started lying a lot after that day.

to Morrison.

to her parents, who had decided to give up on her completely once she returned to them.

to no one else. because nobody else would associate her.

did she ever lie to Archer? she didn't know if she could ever get anything past him.

but it didn't matter because Archer was the one she was lying

about.

so, frequently, she would encounter the same situation:

"where are you going?"

she would think the truth. out with Archer. to the diner. to the park. to the theater. to all those classic little normal places. there are no drugs there. no pretty long-haired boys. no laughs over guitars.

she would say, "to run errands." "to get something to eat." "back to my parents'."  always with a reassuring smile, or a silent exit, always so deceptive.

and she couldn't for the life of her understand why she was doing it.

because her lingering feelings for Archer were such a dull flame, spanning a few s m a l l blades of grass and sitting there because there was nothing else to fuel it.

maybe he was trying to fuel it.

but the next few days were the first time since her miserable week in which Marguerite could go for hours, even a full day if things came up, without seeing Morrison.

and whenever she returned to the dark-haired, dark-eyed boy, she could breathe more deeply, and he restored her, and she felt so guilty,

but what was there to feel guilty for?

why even lie when Archer meant nothing to her?

well, there was a lie.

but when Archer laughed too long at something she said, she would think of Morrison's perpetual calmness and how beautifully annoying it was to her.

and sometimes Morrison would smile at her. they were these small, pretty smiles, and his eyes would widen just a little bit, and

it was almost like he didn't suspect a thing.

but she should've known better.

because she had never,

e v e r

been able to get anything past Morrison.

this was no exception.