x.

「 II 」 TEN

II TEN.

as much as they had enjoyed themselves on the high of music, vodka and whiskey soon followed.

Morrison had gone straight for the jack daniels. why he was so loyal to jack daniels was something Marguerite couldn't bring herself to understand, but it was what it was.

he hadn't stopped drinking in the past hour. he was downing

red solo cup after shotglass after shotglass after red solo cup

and she had quit after two solos. as pleasantly tipsy as she was, she was s c a r e d.

when was he going to call it enough?

they were sitting on the couch together, the same couch she had watched him play guitar with Tyler from, but this time there were people all around them, and things felt so vastly different, as if the past hour had meant everything.

except it had meant nothing. so where was the ghost meaning coming from?

she had to guess he had had about ten shots worth of alcohol. in the past hour. it was a  d e a t h  w i s h.

he had to stop.

she had never seen alcohol take control of him so powerfully. well, not since

the day he entered her life. it hadn't been a graceful entrance. and so she hadn't seen him so drunk since then.

he was leaning on her like she was his rock, which she never had been. although he had been hers at times, he had never truly needed her.

it was hard to support his weight. she leaned his body back onto the couch as best he could, and he slung an arm around her meaninglessly. leaned over and placed a meaningless kiss on the side of her neck. her bruises were fading. she wished he'd taken the time out to bestow new ones upon her.

the kids surrounding them in the living room brought up relationships.

Tyler brought up some pretty boy who'd broken his heart once. hence his tendency to lean towards girls, he said half-drunkenly. he was just sober enough for it to be accurate, just drunk enough to let it out.

the pretty blonde girl mentioned the time she'd been with a boy five years older than her. couldn't have been legal. she'd broken up with long enough ago for the pain to fade, though, and Marguerite began to regret her reunion with Archer. it kept all her feelings on the surface. wouldn't let them sink.

the girl's eyes locked with Marguerite's, and the latter's fear was growing e x p o n e n t i a l l y with each passing second. "lucky you," the girl said. "got a good boy on your shoulders."

the blush that embedded itself into Marguerite's cheeks burned hotter than the vodka that had s l i t h e r e d down her throat earlier.

and that was the first time Morrison spoke up since he'd started his chaotic streak with, on, jack daniels.

"actually, she's got two."

she jumped. faces fell. eyes averted awkwardly.

and Morrison laughed.