Scintilla

Scintilla~ a tiny, brilliant flash; a small thing; a barely visible trace.

I walked outside following Star after the little argument she had with Bruce

I walked outside following Star after the little argument she had with Bruce. I saw her sitting on the steps wiping her hand off.

"You good?" I said softly sitting next to her. She licked her lips and nodded without looking up. "Like I said when we met, she just means cause she ugly and miserable." That got Star to smile.

"You said you were Carlotta's niece right?" Star said looking up at me. I sighed and looked up into the air.

I nodded, "My momma Cassie's her sister." I rolled my eyes. "It's bad blood between me and her right now."

"What about your daddy?" Star asked and I licked my lips.

"He been locked up since I was little." I shrugged at the mention of him. "I've talk to him on the phone from time to time , but that's about it cause' Cassie don't never let me go see him."

She nods thankfully not pushing the subject. "So you and Derek?" She smirks at me.

I give her a small smile, "We not together." I shake my head. "We were though." I sighed sadly.

"What happened?" Star cocks her head. I shake my head and wink at her, "That's a story for another time."

"Either way, that boy still loves you." She grins at me and Alexandra walks down the stairs in front of us.

"Star we've been here for over a week, I've been shampooing hair, sleeping with you, and living off apple pies." She throws her hands up. "What we need to do is get in the studio and lay some tracks, we gotta figure this out or I gotta go." She crosses her arms.

"Oh," Star laughs sarcastically. "Go back to New York City. I got nowhere to go. All I've been trying to do is figure this out."

"We need to build some kind of buzz," I said after sitting quietly. They both looked at me with an eyebrow raised. "Get our faces out there."

"Like online or something?" Star asks stupidly.

I shake my head at her dumbass question, "I've been looking into amateur nights, there's a contest that I saw online at the cater." I smile. "There's industry people there, managers, too." Both of them looked skeptical both Alexandra was the first to give in.

"When did you say the contest was?" She smirks at both of us making us smile. She walks and sits down on the steps with us.

"Tonight." I said, "Which means you two need to get cute after work." We all laugh as Star sticks her tongue.

✶