Chapter 15: Interference

When we stepped off the train it is in complete darkness. This was always the eerie part of arriving here. Especially first year. But here with Cedric's hand clasped in mine and Harry and Ron walking in front of us, I realize there are scarier things to worry about. Like trolls, Dementors, Dark Wizards. Cedric and Ron talked about the upcoming Quidditch season and I noticed Harry seemed out of it. We're one of the last ones off the train and I didn't see anyone around us.

I wasn't paying attention as I looked on at Cedric's interactions with my friends. Ron who seemed so put out about Cedric and I was even captivated with him. Suddenly, I bumped into a hard figure and I realized Harry has stopped in his tracks. When I looked out I saw why.

"I'm surprised the Ministry is letting you walk around free." Draco sneered. "Better enjoy it while you can. I expect there's a cell in Azkaban with your name on it."

Harry jumped forward as if to attack Draco and Ron and Cedric were instantly on him, holding him back. Draco usually gets on Harry's nerves, but never had he reacted this way. Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle looked frightened for a moment. They began to walk away but not before Draco could get one last jab at Harry's expense.

"What did I tell you? Complete nutter."

Ron began to release his hold on Harry but Cedric still held on. Thankfully, because Harry screamed, "Just stay away from me!" Ron was at Harry's side again and I could tell he was surprised by the outburst. My heart was breaking for my best friend and I stood there clutching my purse in an effort to keep myself together.

"It's only Malfoy." Ron said incredulously. "What'd you expect?"

Harry shook Cedric and Ron off and began walking in front of us. Ron chose to stay back, but Cedric and I knew something was wrong so we quickened our steps to be near him again. I didn't know exactly where to begin, but it seemed Cedric was all over this.

"You can't let them get to you, mate. That's what they want. You'll never get to impress Cho if you get expelled for wasting spells on the likes of him."

Harry smiled a bit. "Guess you're right."

"Don't let what happened in that field change you. We're both alive and we'll beat this." Cedric whispered. "Don't shut us out."

"Any of us." I added.

Harry turned towards me. "I won't."

Ron joined us then and Cedric and I fell back. Cedric's arm went around me and we continued the long walk to the carriages that would eventually bring us to Hogwarts. When we reached them, a carriage was just leaving and Cho happened to be in it with four other girls. She saw Harry and smiled brightly before waving. She looked upset as the carriage drove off magically with no one pulling it. She must've hoped Harry would be able to get in it with her.

Just as it disappeared Neville walked up beside us. "Hi, guys."

We all greeted him just as the last carriage pulled up with Luna Lovegood. She was reading the Quibbler upside down as she often did. Her hair hung loosely in ratty waves and her ensemble was a clash of materials from her bright red stockings to her floral skirt and long grey jacket. The four of us quickly hopped on the carriage and everyone looked expectantly towards me.

"Everyone this is Loony Love... Luna Lovegood." I blushed at my obvious mistake her name. She was often called Loony because of her eccentric personality. I looked away at Cedric who had let out a small laugh at my mistake before turning back towards Luna. I decided to compliment her since I had mistakenly made fun of her. "What an interesting necklace."

"It's a charm, actually." She stated in a far-away voice. "Keeps away the Nargles."

All of our eyes drifted anywhere but Luna. She was the nicest person I'd met at Hogwarts even if she was off kilter sometimes. We weren't in the same house but I had come to think of her as a friend. She lived in Ottery St. Catchpole near Cedric and Ron but I doubted they saw her often.