Chapter 21: Happiness

Shortly after arriving back to headquarters I helped Cedric pack for our return to Hogwarts the following night. Obviously, I was the only one who had packed ahead of time. Boys. Once we were all packed up I kissed everyone goodnight and retreated to the solace of my bedroom with Ginny. We were both exhausted from the nights activities though I was rather certain mine were more recreation and... well... fun. Closing my eyes I dreamed of a world without the Dark Arts and where we could all find peace and happiness. Mine of course was with Cedric traveling the world and fighting for House Elves rights.

I was filled with a sense of dread that this could merely be a dream for the moment and once we helped Harry defeat Voldermort there would be plenty of time for fighting my causes. The day that came when I woke up was a blur filled with making sure everyone was prepared for the train ride back and making a plan to get Harry on safely.
------------------------
"Nargles?" I shook my head laughing. "Have you been hanging around Luna, Ronald?"

A blush crept up Ron's face and Cedric, Neville, Ginny and I burst into a fit of laughter. We were on our way to the Great Hall to meet up with Harry and Cho with Ron talking about how Nargles affected his ability to do his homework correctly.

"She may have something there, Hermione. She'll prove you and your 'books' wrong."

Ron did a little air quotes thing when he mentioned my books that only set us into an even louder series of laughs. Cedric was slapping his knee trying to get some oxygen back in his lungs and Ginny was pressed into Neville's shoulder as she tried to control her laughter. The fact that Ron was now buying into Luna's world was making us all fit into a better mood.

Just as I turned around to regain my composure I saw a smoke stack coming out of Hagrid's chimney. Elation filled me as I got the groups attention and without a moment's hesitation and a reassuring look from Cedric Ron and I ran towards the Great Hall to tell Harry. I entered first and bee-lined straight for Harry who was in the midst of a deep conversation with Cho who was sitting at her table.

"Harry!" I screamed. "Harry!"

He looked up with a scared look on his face. I was sure he feared the worst and once Ron and I caught our breathing and the rest of the group entered the Hall I took a deep breath and whispered, "Hagrid's back."
------------------------
We crept towards Hagrid's hut. He was in deep conversation with Umbi- I mean Umbridge and Ron, Harry, and I hid underneath the window listening in. Hagrid was sitting in a chair a steak on his eye and appeared in pretty bad shape. I almost wanted to burst in there and attack Umbridge with all I had for arguing with Hagrid when he was clearly in need of medical attention.

"I'm sorry." Umbridge feigned care. "I will say this for the last time. I'm ordering you to tell me where you've been."

"I told you. I've been away for me health."

"Your health?"

"Yeah. Bit of fresh air, ya know?"

She scoffed. "Oh, yeah. As gamekeeper, fresh air must be difficult to come by."

Umbridge surveyed the room. No doubt looking for something to attack Hagrid with and kick him out. When she found nothing she walked to the door but not before turning back.

"If I were you, I shouldn't get too used to being back. In fact, I mightn't bother unpacking at all."

She left and we waiting until she reached the top of the hill before knocking on the back door and letting Hagrid sneak us in. He fell back on the chair he previously occupied and I surveyed his wounds while Ron and Harry asked him where he was. He wouldn't open up in the least telling us we would find out shortly. Hagrid held a stout finger to his lips and shushed them with a wink.