Chapter 42: Domino

The faces in front of me stood completely shell shocked. This was ironic since we were at Shell Cottage. Cedric looked the most wounded of all and I could see the mistrust filling his eyes. The one thing I didn't expect through this whole experience was Cedric. He completely swept me away and took me off guard. The love I felt for him couldn't compare with the crush I had held for Ron in fourth year or the love I held for Harry throughout our friendship. Cedric understood me mind, body, and soul... he just didn't know my deepest secret.

"How did you-you just-and then we..." Ron mumbled. "I'm lost."

"What's going on, Hermione?" Harry asked with his eyes still red from crying.

"Harry, remember third year... when... Well, when McGonagall gave me this." I reached into my jumper and pulled out the thin gold chain that held the Time-Turner. Harry's eyes registered with recognition as the others looked between us. "Dumbledore gave me another mission only this time it was much more dangerous."

"Hold on." Cedric ordered. "Do you care to explain what in the bloody hell that is?"

"It's a Time-Turner." Harry explained. "It allows a witch or wizard to go back in time."

"In third year, Harry and I went back to save Sirius and Buckbeak using this."

"I knew something was going on!" Ron squealed. "You disappeared and then just reappeared seconds later!"

"Exactly." I answered.

Cedric just stared at me. "So, what was this mission Dumbledore sent you on?"

"Well, the first thing you need to understand is awful things happen to wizards who meddle with time. It's unnatural."

"How far back did you go, Hermione?" Harry asked when I had paused.

My eyes met Cedric's. "Back to the Yule Ball."

"From when?"

"Now. This moment. That's why my body disappeared." I took a deep breath and sat on a nearby piece of driftwood. "The laws of time travel state that you must not be seen. But I received a letter from Dumbledore stating that I was to turn my dial so many times and that I should retrace my steps and contact myself. If I did as I was told and speak with my past self I could save more than one innocent life... like the last time."

"What was your present like?" Luna asked, curiously.

I frowned. This was the question I was afraid of. "Not many of us survived."

"How many did you save?" Harry asked. "And why didn't you save Dumbledore?"

"Well, Cedric I attacked with a Cruciatus Curse rather than have You-Know-Who kill him. Then Sirius and Dobby. Dobby was the tricky one because it had to happen at the precise moment I would disappear."

"Dobby is most grateful for Miss Granger." Dobby smiled.

"Thank you." I turned to Harry. "And Dumbledore... Well, he asked me not to try and save him. That his death was part of a much bigger scheme that needed to play out."

Without looking at me, Cedric spoke. "So, which Hermione did I fall in love with? You or the one who I just watched die right before my very eyes?"

I reached over to take his hand but he pushed me away. "Both. We're both the same person. Her memories are mine and vice versa. I fell in love with you."

"Fine. But one more question..." Cedric responded. "If I was dead in this alternate reality who were you in love with?"

"Is that really important?"

"Yes."

Releasing a sigh, I turned to the rest of the group. "Can we have a minute alone? I'm sure you want to speak with Ollivander and Griphook inside."