Chapter 32: Fire

Cedric,

First time in McGonagall's office of the year. This time though we weren't in trouble- shocker! The situation with Katie scared us all. The necklace was obviously cursed with Dark Magic. Harry still believes that Malfoy handed it to her in Three Broomsticks but I can't get into my head the idea of Malfoy as a Death Eater. What would Voldermort want with him? It does; however, seem that the real danger is lurking inside Hogwarts walls. But I just can't put my finger on it. How's everything going with Professor Lupin? Was he able to make contact? Anyways, I have to go get ready for Slughorn's get together. I'm running late as it is.

All my love,

Hermione
------------------------
Hermione,

As much of a prat that Malfoy is I don't believe he's been initiated into the Death Eaters. I can understand why Harry would think that though. There is definitely some odd stuff happening on your end. Luckily, they have you and I'm sure you'll solve the mystery. Lupin was able to make contact but it didn't go very well. They don't trust him. He came back to base a little worse for wear. Have fun at the party. Let me know whose part of this collection that Harry's been writing Sirius about. That Slughorn obviously has his wits about him if he's included you in his collection.

Cedric
------------------------
Ced,

The party was... awkward. Harry was there, as you know, and so were Ginny, the twins, Neville, Cho, Cormac, and Marcus Belby. Quite the eclectic group. Harry did the strangest thing though; he stood when Cho came in. I do believe he's finally gotten over the drama of last semester. I see everything that we share and I want that for Harry. He's had to go through so much and I wish he had more opportunities to be a teenager and fall in love. I'm thankful for all that you've given me. I feel more confident and strong knowing I have you on my side.

We won our first Quidditch match. Ron was rather good for his first time. He and Lavender Brown snogged right in the common room during the celebratory party. It was then that I noticed what has been going on with him and Luna. Luna fancies Ron. Oh, how I wish I had noticed this earlier rather than consoling her in the corridor when Ron and Lavender ran past hand in hand. I've never seen Luna so vulnerable.

Before I get too riled up... Slughorn is having a Christmas party. All that reminds me of is that I'm closer to seeing you.

xx Hermione
------------------------
"Have you given any thought to who you're going to the Christmas party with?" Harry asked as he trailed me through the stacks of books in the library.

I shrugged. "I was thinking I'd go stag."

"I'm sure Cormac would love to accompany you." Harry joked as I slapped him playfully with a book I was holding.

"Not funny!" I groaned before asking hopefully, "Are you taking Cho?"

Harry shook his head. "I'm not quite there yet." He paused. "Hermione? I was thinking... Since neither one of us can take who we'd really like... maybe we'd go together. As friends."

I stopped sifting through the stack of books. "Really?"

Harry nodded and then backtracked. "I mean if you don't want to.... Or you think it would be awkward..."

"Harry," I placed my hand on his shoulder stopping his train of thought. "I'd love to."
------------------------
Cedric,

Two letters from me... aren't you lucky? Harry and I went together to the party. It was rather fun. We danced and just had a wonderful time. There were two odd occurrences though. Were you aware that Dumbledore is traveling? Snape conveyed a message to Harry letting him know and we were both thrown off by it. Where could he possibly be going? The other thing was Malfoy "crashed" the party and was escorted out by Snape. Harry and I followed him and he talked about an "Unbreakable Vow" to protect Malfoy. What could Snape be protecting him from? I think my assumptions about Malfoy are beginning to ring false.