Chapter 22: Natural

"Been watching them for weeks!" Umbridge screeched. She held up the piece of parchment with all our names on it. "And see, 'Dumbledore's Army.'" She handed the parchment to the Minister of Magic. "Proof of what I've been telling you right from the beginning, Cornelius." Here gaze turned towards Dumbledore and she pointed with an unmoving finger. "All your fear-mongering for You-Know-Who never fooled us for a minute. We saw your lies for what they were: A smokescreen for your bid to seize the Ministry."

All our eyes turned towards Dumbledore. We felt foolish for what we had done. It was necessary but we had been careless in calling ourselves Dumbledore's Army. It was all our fault for the turnings of what should've been just our explosions.

Dumbledore said with feigned interest. "Naturally."

I felt Harry grow rigid beside me. My eyes shot to him as he shouted as if his life depended on it. "No, professor! He had nothing to do with it. It was me."

Dumbledore looked at Harry with a look that could only be described as fathers pride towards a son. "Most noble of you, Harry, to shield me, but as it has been pointed out the parchment clearly says 'Dumbledore's Army' not 'Potter's.'" His gaze turned towards Umbridge and I watched as Harry's hope whisked out of him. "I instructed Harry to form this organization. And I, and I alone, am responsible for its activities."

"Dispatch an owl to the Daily Prophet!" Cornelius ordered to no one in particular. "If we hurry, we should still make the morning edition. Dawlish, Shacklebolt, you will escort Dumbledore to Azkaban to await trial for conspiracy and sedition."

"I thought we might hit this little snag." Dumbledore breathed in a voice both intimidating and reproachful. "You seem to be laboring under the delusion that I'm going to-What's the phrase?-Come quietly. Well, I can tell you this: I have no intention of going to Azkaban."

Cornelius was outraged. "Enough of this! Take him!"

Just as the men of the Ministry approached, Dumbledore clapped his hands above his head and smoke appeared to be consuming him as he Apparated in the room. The men grabbed nothing but air. Shacklebolt, a member of the Order, laughed and clamped his hand on Cornelius' shoulder.

"Well, you may not like him, Minister, but you can't deny Dumbledore has got style."

The Minister was still staring dumbfounded. He soon got his bearings and walked over to where Dumbledore had been minutes earlier. I felt Cedric's hand brush my own and I looked up at him with watery eyes. He sent me a sad smile just before turning to listen to what the Minister had to say.

"Dolores, I name you Headmaster of Hogwarts. If anyone can turn this school around it's you. Do with the children what you must to stop this nonsense from spreading. I'll leave you now to tend to it. Now, I must reach the Daily Prophet and find that fool, Dumbledore."

With that, the Minister left with his henchmen in tow. I saw Schacklebolt nod to Cedric while passing and I gave him a curious glance which he then shook off. Umbridge with her menacing smile stepped up on the platform that held Dumbledore's desk. She laughed annoyingly to herself before starring at all of us.

"Mr. Malfoy, please fetch Professor McGonagall and Filch, please."

Malfoy nodded and left the room. She admired her "new office" while all of us stood there defeated. She had yet to dismiss us and I thought this must all be part of her torture. Dumbledore was gone and Harry even though safely within the walls of Hogwarts was away from his most important ally. As long as Dumbledore was at Hogwarts Harry was safe. Voldermort couldn't touch him.
------------------------
Filch entered the room holding what appeared to be a cloak. He bowed slightly while holding the material out to Umbridge just as Professor McGonagall stepped into the room. Her eyes quickly fell upon us in surprise.