Chapter 30: Separated

My eyes opened and I realized I was in a tiny cot on the top floor of the Burrow. I surveyed my surrounding and noticed Cedric sleeping soundly on a nearby cot, his snores echoing through the dim room. Light was slowly making its way up through the darkness and I let the moment fill me up.

We had rescued Sirius.

Harry was going to have his Godfather back.

I released a satisfying breath and quietly wandered down to the bottom floor of the Burrow. There was a slight chill in the air and I was thankful for whoever had placed me in these blue cotton pajamas bottoms even if I was wearing a tank top to match it. As I made my way down I steadied myself by leaning against the tiny railing. My body still felt weak like all the energy had been drained for me. It made sense since I had basically almost been pulled into death. What had I expected?

Low whispers could be heard from the Weasley's kitchen and as my foot landed on the last with a creak it abruptly stopped. Five worn faces turned towards me. Mrs. Weasley immediately bustled towards me.

"Hermione, dear, what are you doing up this early?"

A quick yawn escaped me and I smiled. "I'm up now." I scanned the faces. "What's going on?"

"Here have a seat you must be exhausted. I'll get you a cup of tea."

She helped me over to the chair no doubt noticing the way I had leaned on the railing for support. I smiled at her in thanks and she patted my shoulder and went over to the counter to pour me a spot of tea. I looked over at the faces at the table. Mr. Weasley, Lupin, Sirius, and Tonks all turned towards me and I felt as if I was being evaluated.

"Did I miss something?" I asked feeling self-conscious. "Is Harry okay?"

It was Sirius who answered. "My godson," he smiled, "is currently on his way over here. Perfectly safe and completely unaware of my presence."

"Who's bringing him over?"

Lupin spoke. "Dumbledore. Seems Harry has been careless this summer and with all that's been happening in the Muggle world, Dumbledore wanted to escort him."

I nodded. Of course, I hadn't been oblivious to the things happening in the muggle world. My world. The Death Eaters had attacked Millennium Bridge in broad daylight among other things. The bridge had fallen into the Thames the very place where Cedric and I had our first real date. It was craziness and I had to put it behind me in order to have my focus on the mission Cedric and I had put on ourselves.

Mrs. Weasley set down my tea and sat near her husband. I took a sip of my tea feeling it beginning to wake up my insides. Then Mr. Weasley stated, "And Ollivanders missing."

I nearly spit out my tea. "What?"

"The Death Eaters have him."

"This is bad, isn't it?" No one answered but they didn't have to. "They're infiltrating."

Lupin responded. "We're afraid so. That was how you and Mr. Diggory were discovered. There are Death Eaters within the Ministry. They were alerted to your presence and swarmed the place."

"We were foolish. We should've been more careful. I should've done a Polyjuice Potion."

Sirius stood from his place across the table and walked towards me and lowered to my level. "You, Miss Granger, are anything but foolish. I meant what I said three years ago."

My eyes down casted and I nodded. He returned to his seat and I excused myself to go and brush my teeth. I must have been lost in my own world for I didn't notice Cedric come up behind me and place his arms on my hips until he lightly pressed his lips to my neck.