𝑜𝓃𝑒 ✓

I was so used to waking up to chirping birds and the sun beaming through gray curtains that it was a shock when I woke up to car horns and a cheap, digital alarm clock. The bedroom still felt like a whole new world, despite waking up in it for at least a month by now, but the stacked cardboard boxes covering every empty corner didn't make it feel much like home. My palm slammed against the button on top of the alarm clock to stop the incessant, harsh beeping, rolling out of bed with a mood far from excitement.

Rather than searching through one of the many boxes filled with clothes that had yet to be unpacked, I opted for sifting through the cleanest looking pile of clothes on my floor. A t-shirt and jeans seemed to be the best option for an easy, casual look, and hopefully didn't scream 'new girl at a super prestigious science school.' Regardless, it was really the only option I had, so I settled for the look and hopped in the shower.

By the time I was done in the shower and finished grabbing everything I'd need for school my first day, the sounds of sizzling bacon and the smell of fresh pancakes had wafted down the small hallway and through the crack in my bedroom door. Making my way into the kitchen, the smell grew stronger, and when I sat down at the dining table, my mother had already slid a plate of fresh breakfast in front of my chair and poured a glass of milk.

"Got everything?" My mother went back to the food on the stove, offering me a smile as she stepped away from the table. My mother looked younger than she really was; she was lucky enough to have no need to dye her grays yet, and the work she did as a nurse kept her in shape enough to look ten years younger than she really was.
"Yeah, I checked everything over this morning before I grabbed my bag, so unless someone came in through my window last night and stole my school supplies, I'm fine."
"Good, wouldn't want to forget anything on your first day. Speaking of, could you at least try to talk to someone? Make friends?"
"Mom-"
"She's right. We aren't paying for you to go to some high end tech school for you to not get the fresh start we all wanted." My dad peered over the top of the newspaper he held in front of his face, folding it neatly and putting it down as he took a sip of his coffee. My father preferred reading a paper for the news despite knowing how to use a phone, and while the sight of a newspaper paired well with his white button down, suit-and-tie look, it didn't work as well with his barely 40, barely graying hair.

"I'll...try, okay? You know I'm not good at talking to people anymore." My mom came up behind me and grabbed the empty plate off the table, pressing a kiss to my temple and tapping me on the shoulder.
"All I ask is that you try. Now hurry, you don't want to be late. I left the subway card and some money on the bureau, remember to call when you get home."
"I will." Standing up, I grabbed the backpack from behind me, sliding the subway card and cash into my hands as I left through the front door. "Bye Mom, bye Dad!"

They shouted out a response before I left the apartment and headed out to the subway station.

I was no stranger to public transport, taking the city bus to school every morning where I used to live, but the New York City subway was a completely different beast. Weaving through business men and mothers on errands just to find a seat, stopping every 30 seconds for some random malfunction to let a group off, it felt far different than simply climbing on a small town bus and waiting out the 10 minute ride. I scrolled on my phone to try and distract myself, hoping for some sort of communication from the friends I left behind several miles away.

I never had many friends growing up, but I had my share of school acquaintances and lab partners that promised to keep in touch after the move. Unsurprisingly, nobody really kept their promise, but I tried to forget about it and focus on getting a fresh start away from it all.

The stop I needed finally sounded over the PA system, myself trying to weave through the crowd of people all piling on and off the subway car. After a few minutes of wandering around and a few wrong turns on my way to the school, I finally made it to the front gates with a few minutes to spare.