•𝓉𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎 𝑜𝓃𝑒•

After a few months, I was finally ready to go back to school. I was prepared for what would happen, from the staring in the hallways to everyone making sure I was okay. I stood in the mirror and took a deep breath, looking at my appearance. I'd finally been able to get some sleep, although I had a nice cut on my cheek that took away from the well rested appearance. I lifted up my shirt and looked at the cut on my side, still red from the night before. My hands gripped around my backpack straps as I left my room, surprised to see my dad actually up this early in the morning. He was hunched over the oven, coughing as smoke came from whatever he was making. I let out a laugh.

"Maybe you shouldn't try to make breakfast. I'd rather not burn down the entire apartment complex." My dad turned around with another cough and a chuckle.
"Do you want me to drop you something off at school then? You can't go the whole day without breakfast." He threw the towel he was holding aside and leaned against the counter.
"No, I'll just stop by the coffee shop I pass on my way to school. They've got really good donuts." He let out a chuckle.
"Are you sure you're okay to go to school today?" I let out a nod and a sigh.
"Yeah. Yeah I think so." I looked at my watch and sighed. "Well, I'd better get going. See yah."
"Bye, girly." A wide smile spread on my face as I skipped down the stairs. 

I got onto the subway like usual, getting off quickly to make sure I was able to stop at the cafe before school. I opened the door and went in, buying three donuts and a coffee. I smiled at the tired looking girl behind the counter as she handed me my stuff.
My feet moved my body down the sidewalk with my eyes faced forward.
"For me? You shouldn't have." I turned my head and snatched the bag of donuts away with a smile.
"Hey, these are mine. I didn't get to eat breakfast this morning since my dad almost burned down the apartment." Peter just let out a small laugh and gripped his backpack straps.
"How's he holding up?"
"Okay...I think. He's trying his best but I can tell he still blames himself." I took a bite of one of the donuts.
"How are you holding up?" I let out a sigh and closed my eyes for a second.
"I think I'll be okay. Everything is overwhelming, but I think it's just gonna be that way for a bit." I looked off towards the road. "I think I just need time." I turned my head over to look at Peter while I held up the last donut. "If you want it it's yours."
"Yes." He snatched the bag from my hand and fist pumped the air, making me let out a loud laugh.
"My dad called me girly today." A smile spread from ear to ear on my face. "He never gives me nicknames."

———————————

When I walked into school, everyone's heads turned towards me. My stomach immediately dropped, pointing my head towards the ground. I kept walking without lifting my eyes.
"I'll see you in a bit." I mumbled it under my breath as I opened my locker, watching as Peter gave me a concerned face but decided to leave it alone. I grabbed all of the stuff out of my locker and went to head to class. I stopped as Liz called my name from down the hall.
"Hey, I'm sorry to hear about your mom." Her face was a look of genuine concern.
"Th-Thanks. It's been hard, but I'm managing." She just nodded while I offered a weak smile.
"If you need to talk, lemme know okay?" I nodded and opened the door to the chemistry room, shuffling to the back of the classroom and sitting down at the table next to Peter. I kept my head down as I felt all eyes on me.
"Hey, are you doing okay?" I looked up briefly to meet Peter's eyes, not bothering to offer a smile. I just nodded.

When lunch came I was feeling marginally better, finally able to stop looking at the ground while I walked.
"So, you guys wanna come over and watch a movie at my place?" Ned looked at the two of us while I shoved a strawberry in my mouth.
"Sure, but I'm picking this time." I pointed my fork at him and Peter let out a sigh.
"Please no more of those cheesy romance movies." I gave him a mock offended glare and let out a laugh.
"Fine. But I wasn't going to pick one anyway. I was gonna go with a modern Si-Fi classic." I held my hand up to exaggerate the point.
"Oh no, not that one." Ned looked confused while Peter rolled his eyes.
"Yes, that one. That show is iconic and should be remembered for years to come."
"I've never even seen it!"
"You are telling me that you've never seen a single episode of Voltron: Legendary Defenders?" Ned's head immediately snapped up.
"Dude, we've been friends for this long and you haven't seen Voltron?"
"What is the big deal with you guys and this show?" Peter let out a laugh while me and Ned dropped our jaws.
"It's only the best animated Si-Fi show that exists currently!" Me and Ned started to rant on and on about the show, Peter just nodding the whole time. Finally the bell rang and we all headed off for gym.