Chalter 15: Tired

"How are you feeling?" Brittany asks me.

"Not good, but not terrible." I smile softly.

"How are you and Echo?"

"I dont want to talk about that right now." I get up off of my bed.

We leave my room and walk in go the kitchen. It has been a week since Sophie's funeral and there is still a void left that she used to fill. Echo, has become distant and mean. He gets angry easily and when we do speak it's just an argument.

"I'm sorry." Brittany breaks me from my thoughts.

"Sorry for what?" I look af her with a puzzled look on my face.

"About Echo."

"It's not your fault, you don't have to apologize."

"I know, I just hate that I can't do anything to help you."

"You're helping by just being here for me."

"Aww, thanks."

Brittany pulls me into a hug and then walks off to find her mate. I walk into the kitchen and decide to make me a sandwich. I hear the side door slide open and Echo comes into view.

"Hey," I say.

Echo just walks past me without saying a word.

"The least you could do is say hey to me." I say before he can get to far.

"Hey, are you happy now?" He sarcastically says.

"No, I'm not fucking happy."

"Well neither am I, I lost-"

"We all lost somebody! Sophie meant a lot to you, I get that, but she meant something to everyone."

"How dare you say that? You weren't even here long enough to actually know her."

"Fuck you, Echo. In the little time that I got to know her, I began to love and care for her!"

"Really," he scoffs, "you're not even a part of this pack, how can you care for anyone."

"You love to throw that in my face, you know what, go to hell Echo." I walk away from him, forgetting my sandwhich.

I walk into the backyard and continue on into the woods, I walk until I reach the lake. Sitting down, I think of everything that has happened in my life, from the death of my parents to now. I don't know how long I've been sitting, outside, but by the time I head back, it's night time.

"Where have you been?" Brittany hugs me as soon as I enter the house.

"I was at the lake, I had to clear my head." I hug her back.

"What's wrong?" She pulls me to the couch.

"It's just, Echo. I mean I get it he's hurting, but he acts like he's the only one who lost Sophie."

"Aww, I'm so sorry that yall are going through this." She hugs me tightly.

We continue to hug each other for a long time. Neither of us say anything, we just hold each other, letting our minds run wild.

"Thank you," I finally break the comfortable silence.

"For what?" She slowly pulls away.

"Just for being there. For caring for me, just, everything."

"Always," she hugs me one last time before heading towards the stiars.

Deciding that I dont want to have another fight wih Echo, I go to an empty room a nice distance from his. As I lay in bed, I sit and think of Sophie and how in such a small amount of time, she has mad a really big impact on my life. I slowly drift into a dreamless sleep with thoughts of Sophie on my mind.

I dont know how long I was asleep for, but I am suddenly woken up with a burning pain in my chest. Putting my hand near my heart, I clench, try, but failing to ease the pain. The pain intensifies and soon I am letting out painful screams. As tears begin to roll down my face, light suddenly fills my room.

"What's wrong?" I hear Brittany.

"I...don't-ahhh!" My words are interrupted by a powerful scream.

Brittany comes closer to me and wraps her arms around my body, trying to calm me down, but the pain just becomes unbearable. Before I know it, my body is trashing around from the pain. As the tears soak my face and my screams get louder, my vision starts to fade, before I know it, darkness welcomes me with open arms.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Will she be ok?" I hear a soft voice say.

"She'll be fine." Another voice says.

"What happened to her?" The first voice says.

"A piece of her heart was broken."

"What do you mean?" I finally recognize the voice as Brittany's.

"I mean, a piece of her heart was physically damaged tonight." I place the second voice as the pack doctor, Ryan.

"Will she be ok?"

"Yes, her heart will eventually fix itself, just needs time."

"What causes this to happen?"

"I dont think I should discuss that with you without her permission."

"But you told me everything else."

"Yes, but I rather tell her this part first."

"Why wont you tell me?"

"I just want her to be the first one to hear the reason, that's all."

"What caused it?" I finally speak up, my voice hoarse, probably from the screaming and crying.

"Oh, good, you're awake. Here's some water, I'm sure your thoar is sore." Dr. Ryan hands me a small cup of water.

I being the cup to my lips and drink everything in the cup, the feel of the cold wate against my sore throat is amazing. After drinking another cup, I repeat my queston.

"Well, a piece of your heart-" Dr. Ryan begins.

"Broke," I interrupt, "I heard all that. The question is, why did a piece of my heart break?"

"Well," he looks over at Brittany.

"It's fine, she can hear."

"Well, I've only seen this happen a handful of times and..." he trails off.

"And, what?" I say impatiently.

"This happens when someone's mate engages in certain activities with someone other than their mate." Dr. Ryan explains.

Tears start to sting my eyes as I realize exactly what "activities" he meant. Wihour letking my tears fall, I slowly remove myself from the bed that I was laying on.

"Ok, so how long before my heat heals?" I say without an once of sadness.

"It depends," he says.

"Depends on what?" I ask.

"On your mate."

Understanding exactly what he meant, I thank him and walk out the room. Feeling all types of way, anger, sadness, but the one that is most prevalent is a fellng of tiredness. Tired from the betrayal, tired from the arguing, just tired.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& 

Thanks for reading.

How do y'all feel about Echo's betrayal?

Dreamer