Chapter 14: Life at Gurukul of Guru Dronacharya (continued) ...

Our training at the ashram was going on immaculately and we were learning various new techniques rapidly. Some of the unique training methods we learnt under Guru Dron was to shoot from a chariot in motion on a moving target (not a stationary one) and dislodge it completely. It was to be done from various angles, wherein the pace of the two chariots (one of the shooter, and other which carried the target) sometimes varied considerably thereby creating difficult angles to shoot and long distance to aim at. This was particularly a difficult feat to accomplish consistently, because you would need precise shooting skills and tremendous amount of concentration and balance. Apart from these traits, it needed ample physical strength as well to dislodge the target completely. Now, when I reminiscence those days, I can only applaud and feel proud to say that indeed our Acharya Dron was unique in whole of Aryavarth with his training methods. Due to such unique training methods, he became the most famous teacher across Aryavarth in weapons training. I consider myself to be blessed to be his student. Our Acharya never settled for anything but the best for his students, he always inspired us to give our best and be the best possible we could and never settle for mediocrity. His training methods were unique, focused and intense.

Under the expert guidance of our Acharya and due to the extra time I put in to hone my skills in all kinds of weaponry, after few years into the weapons training, I was undisputedly acknowledged by all at the ashram as the foremost pupil of our Acharya. Due to my natural curiosity to learn various kinds of techniques and eagerness to acquire as much as possible, sometimes Acharya in jest used to say 'Arjuna, my dear... you will not leave anything that has to be acquired from me my dear'. And, this rapid progress of ours (specially mine in archery skills) certainly unnerved our cousin Duryodhan and he started to spread rumours at the ashram that the reason Arjuna has become Acharya's foremost pupil was because of undue privileges given by Acharya to Arjuna and it was not due to Arjuna possessing any special talent. I heard these talks and felt really bad, not because Duryodhan grudged me that I did not possess any special talent but he insulted our Guru for being partial to a particular student. Acharya always imparted the same methods of training to all the students at the ashram and never had a special one to one private class for any particular student. One of the lessons I quickly learned at the ashram from our Guru was to be supremely confident of one's abilities. He drilled in me a thought process, wherein one will be able to attain the ability to make all things possible through sheer hard work, single-minded focus and determination. I'm deeply indebted to my beloved Guru for inculcating in me a positive and confident outlook. Since, I was well aware of my skills and abilities, so didn't feel the need to have anyone's mark of approval to feel good about myself and my abilities, hence I simply ignored Duryodhan's allegations. And, slowly these allegations of Duryodhan started to take a toll and cause distress to our Guru bhai Ashwathama.

One day, during dinner time, Ashwathama asked Acharya whether he loved him or me more, to which our Acharya replied saying that he loves Ashwathama more than his physical life but Arjuna was his soul itself. I was so moved when I heard about this and became very emotional to know the place I held in my Guru's heart. He told Ashwathama that I will always remain his beloved and foremost student amongst all at the ashram. Our Guru bhai Ashwathama was always friendly with me and never showed any signs of envy or hostility towards me, instead he loved me as his own younger brother. But, Ashwathama was a brilliant and dedicated student, so in all humility he asked our Acharya, how can I be regarded as a foremost student, when there was no test taken to appraise the students. To which, our Acharya had a soft smile and gently patted the back of Ashwathama and told him he will get his answers clarified the next morning.

The next day, after the morning prayers, Acharya summoned all the students to assemble at the nearby playground. The playground was a huge one surrounded by lush greenery with some very large banyan trees. Acharya asked us to have a look in the eastern direction and there we saw a wooden bird perched on a branch of a mango tree. Acharya told us, that we have to strike the eye of the wooden bird. And, he called the students one by one and each student after taking the striking position and before letting the arrow loose was asked a question.

Acharya first called and asked Yudhi bhai who was standing near him, ''What do you see over there?'' To which Yudhi bhai replied, "I see your feet, the earth, the sky, a wooden bird, the branches of the tree, the leaves moving and other birds". After this answer, Acharya asked Yudhi bhai to go back and take his seat. Then he called Duryodhan and posed the same question to which Duryodhan replied, "I see the wooden bird, the branches of the tree, the leaves and other birds" and was asked to go back. When it was Bhim bhai's turn the answer he gave made everyone chuckle, he answered 'I can see all that Duryodhan saw but can also see fruits on this tree and also fruits on the tree beside this', Acharya gave a stern look and asked him to go back. More or less all the students gave similar answers and were asked to go back. Then it was the turn of our Guru bhai Ashwathama, and he replied "I see the wooden bird and the branch on which it is placed and nothing else", Acharya tapped his head gently and asked him to go back. Finally, it was my turn, and I replied "I see only the eye of the bird, Acharya", then I heard a loud shout from Acharya asking me to shoot, and I let loose the arrow and it struck the eye of the wooden bird. Acharya was highly pleased and blessed me. Acharya glanced at Guru bhai Ashwathama and gave him a soft smile, and Ashwathama realising his mistake came forward and touched the feet of Acharya and asked for pardon.

Acharya told the students that it was a test to check one's focus on the goal which was the bird's eye. Seeing anything else (such as leaves, fruits, branches etc.,) apart from the bird's eye were distractions, and only when we overcome those distractions and focus on the bird's eye, only then we will be able to strike the eye. The message of Acharya was very deep and applies to all aspects of life and not just relevant to shooting. In life, there are so many things that distract us and consume our energy. We should always put the distractions aside and concentrate on things that matter. We should know our goals and how to chase them. In our daily life, distractions are always going to be there in one form or the other. It takes will power to not get indulged. We not only had weapons training at the ashram but also lessons on life too. Our Acharya was unique.

We all felt the last few years at the ashram have passed merrily and in a jiffy and now it was time for vacation. We all were very excited to go back to our home and spend the vacation time with our mata, pitamah, kaka, badi mata, our sister Dushshala and other friends. Guards driving the chariots from Hastinapur reached the ashram to take us back. During the journey back home, one of the guards conveyed the message of our mata that our cousins from Dwaraka will be reaching Hastinapur shortly. I was highly excited to see our cousins, since I only heard their tales from our mata but never saw them in person. Our mata was very proud of her nephews and used to recount their tales of valour, the eldest one was named as Balaram and was of fair complexion and the other cousin was of dark complexion, very naughty and was named as 'Krishna'. Oh, what a coincidence I thought, both of us were of dark complexion and both were named as Krishna, even though for me it was not used much frequently. I was very excited and feeling so happy that I would finally meet my cousins from Dwaraka.