Chapter 22: Guru Dakshina (Part 1)

After the successful completion of the event at Hastinapur to 'exhibit skills', we returned back to Gurukul. Soon after, the final stages of the training was concluded in short period of time, as only few nuances were left for us to be taught, it was more of the final theoretical lessons we had to learn from Acharya. That night would be our last night to be spent at the ashram as students. The next morning, we would be returning to Hastinapur as accomplished students under the tutelage of Acharya Dron.

On that night though, I was not able to sleep at all and was overcome with various emotions. During our long stay at Gurukul, I made several close relationships with various people out there, and none more deep than my relationship with my beloved Guru Acharya Dron. It was not just a teacher-pupil relationship but much more than that. At various points in time, when I was feeling low due to the recollection of events associated with my late father Maharaj Pandu, and during those vulnerable times it was my beloved Acharya who used to comfort me and act like a father to soothe me and calm the emotional turmoil I was going through. The same was the case with Guru maa Kripi, she loved me immensely and treated me as her own son. I can never forget the way she used to take care of me, she used to make sure I had food on time and didn't skip any meals. When I was very young she used to fondly tie my curly hair into top-knot. Guru bhai Ashwathama always regarded me as his younger brother and had great affection for me. He felt proud at the way I was progressing and learning all the facets of archery. He always used to give tremendous encouragement and confidence. Even though, I was Acharya's favourite disciple but Guru bhai Ashwathama never showed any resentment at that, and used to encourage me by saying, 'My dear Arjuna, you deserve to be the favourite disciple of our Acharya, because of your total commitment to learning. My dear brother, I can confidently say, there will never be any bowman in the entire world who will be as accomplished as you'. It proved to be a difficult night to sleep.

Next morning, Acharya assembled all the students to the Saraswathi mata temple to conduct puja to the 'Goddess of Learning' and take her blessings before we embark on a new chapter in our life journey. For lunch, Acharya instructed to have variety of fine dishes to be cooked with several varieties of sweets including kheer, milk sweets, halwa and so on. We had our farewell lunch with Acharya, Guru Maa, Guru bhai and other teachers of the ashram and the environment was a bit sombre.

After lunch, we had a break for sometime and afterwards Acharya assembled all the students at the training ground and announced 'My dear students, with today your training is complete and I feel proud of you all. You all have trained very hard and turned into fine warriors who are well capable of protecting their kingdom. Even, your Pitamah Bhishm will be proud of your warrior skills. Now, it's time for my Guru Dakshina...Are you students ready to give me my Guru Dakshina?'

As usual, Duryodhan being haughty responded to Acharya saying 'Acharya, all the wealth of our kingdom is at your disposal, please let me know whatever you want and I will arrange for it'.  Acharya snapped at Duryodhan and said 'I'm a Brahmana and my responsibility is to spread knowledge and what will I do with the wealth?'

After that, it was the turn of Yudhi bhai, who humbly responded to Acharya saying 'Acharya, we will do whatever you have asked us, please let us know.'  After hearing it, Acharya responded with a smile and said, 'Yudhistir, my child, that is what I expected from you, humility is your forte and I see a future emperor in you'. Hearing this from Acharya, Duryodhan was burning with anger and jealousy and so too was Dushshasan.

Later on, it was the turn for Bhim bhai to respond and in his typical style he said 'Acharya, we will get whatever you want, even if it requires mountains to be moved, it will be done'. Acharya patted Bhim bhai and said 'Bhimsen I expected nothing less from you. My child, your love and affection for your loved ones is difficult to match.'