Chapter 21: Exhibition (Part 2)

I came forward and humbly prostrated before my Acharya and then took five arrows and shot them in quick succession which fell near the feet of Pitamah Bhishm, Bade Pitashree, Vidur kaka, Gandhari mata and Kunti mata. They were initially surprised at the way I saluted them with the arrows. All of them with smiles etched on their faces showered their blessings. The crowd was eagerly anticipating the display, and the pitch of the chants from the crowd was deafening.

Some shouted, 'Arjuna, Savsyachi, Phalguna, Mahabaho...'', others shouted, 'The youngest son of Kunti", while some others shouted 'The protector of the Kurus!'. I could see immense pride and happiness on the faces of all my family members except Bade Pitashree and he seemed perturbed with the warm reception and affection I was getting from the crowd. I could gauge mata going through various emotions and could see her tears, she must be reminiscing how her small kids who lost their father and were in wilderness have finally found a place in the hearts of the people. The people of Hastinapur genuinely loved us brothers and were chanting the name of our father Maharaj Pandu during the exhibition. The genuine love and affection of the crowd and their continuous cheers made me emotional and I was controlling hard to stop my tears. But, it was not the time to be emotional though but time to focus on the task at hand.

I started off the event by shooting arrows accurately on a revolving target placed on the far end of the ground and brought it down. Cheers from the crowd reached rooftops at this display. Then it was the time to shoot targets that were moving simultaneously in different directions. This needed quick shooting reflexes and accuracy. After such display using pure archery skills, it was time to showcase special astras. I invoked Agneya astra and shot the arrow into the sky, everyone was keenly following the direction of the arrow and looking up in the sky. Slowly the arrow started to glow and soon it flared up, and the sky above the arena was blazing with fire. Many people in the crowd saw such astra for the first time in their lives and were in a state of ecstasy. They were clapping vigorously for that display. It was time to calm the blazing fire that was flaring up in the sky with another special astra, and this time I shot Varuna astra and the astra slowly pierced into the sky and showered rain and the blazing fire was drowned in that. Crowed was speechless at this display. After that, it was time to shoot Vayvay astra, the astra resulted in gale and crowd were amazed at that. Next, I shot Parvata astra, which created large mountains up in the sky. Vidur kaka was explaining all the happenings to Bade Pitashree and Kunti mata to Badi mata. And, finally I shot the magical Antardhan astra which caused my disappearance, and now with this display the crowd was almost delirious. Soon, I reappeared by withdrawing the Antardhan astra. The crowd went wild by seeing the magical display of this astra. With that, I finished off my display of skills.

As I was about to return back to the enclosure, I heard a thundering sound which was the result of the bowstring being pulled and I looked at the direction from where it was coming and observed it was coming from the entrance and there stood a man who looked splendid with golden armour and earrings and with face shining like a sun. As he neared us in the arena, I could see he must have been at least 12 to 15 years older than me and was looking at me with contempt. I was a bit puzzled at that contemptuous look from him. I could feel this person who was draped in golden armour and earrings was special. He was holding a giant bow in his hand. He quickly saluted the King, Acharya Dron and Guru Kripacharya. Looking at me in a mocking fashion, he announced 'Hey Arjuna, you upstart, if your Guru permits me then I will perform every feat of yours'. I kept my calm as I had good self-control and kept silent even when he was being disrespectful in the way he addressed me.

Acharya Dron gave permission to the young man and he performed every feat of mine with equal aplomb and the crowd went wild at his display and were clapping vigorously. Acharya Dron later on that day after the exhibition ended told me, even though the young man repeated my feats but was lacking the natural grace, ease and finesse in execution. This he termed were not that young man's limitations but were a result of showing skills in anger and not with calm mind. I observed this was a trait which was to be with Karna all his life and I think that was the reason he fell short almost every time we had a face-off. 

When the young man had finished showing off his skills and stood proudly before them, the crowd was very appreciative and he got loud cheers. I acknowledged that young man's skills in my heart and I could see Pitamah Bhishm also appreciating the skills displayed. But, something strange I observed with Duryodhan though, he ran so fast like there was no tomorrow from his enclosure and hugged that young man. He announced, "O great archer, from today, I, Duryodhan and you will be friends always!". Alas, that friendship between these two would destroy the Kuru family and cause almost total annihilation of Kshatriyas.

Now fresh from his glorious display and with affection showered by Duryodhan, the young man's arrogance was increasing every second and announced "We shall see today who the greater archer is, Arjuna or I. I, Karna, challenge Arjuna to a duel". I asked him "Why you come uninvited to our tournament and challenging me in a duel, the exhibition was meant for the students of Acharya Dron?" and he responded by saying "Hey Arjuna, are you afraid to challenge me in a duel?". All this while, Duryodhan and Dushshasan were looking at me with contempt. Now, these taunts tested my patience to the hilt, as I never feared anyone or any situation in the field of battle and quickly took my stance and was ready to meet the challenge and responded by saying "Come braggart, I will send you to your fathers in hell.".

As we both were ready to duel, we heard cries from the royal enclosure uttering that our mata had fainted. I had tears in my eyes when I saw mata was motionless and was being helped by maids. The maids sprinkled cold water on her face and was given fresh lime juice as they thought she was dehydrated. Royal Vaidyas quickly inspected her condition and concluded it was exertion that caused our mata to faint and gave her some medicines and she quickly recovered. I got relieved to see her back to normal. None of us knew at that time, the real reason for her fainting though.

Guru Kripacharya asked Karna to introduce himself before he readies for a duel, Karna was crestfallen at this and was silent. Duryodhan intervened and said that for anyone to duel, they need courage and not the lineage. Even though, I knew Duryodhan was uttering all these to get close to Karna and be friends with him, as he found in Karna a person who could rival me. But, whatever the intentions of Durodhan were, he uttered truth and I was already into my stance and raised my bow to have the combat without any reservation.

Duryodhan was not done though as he got carried away to find a rival who could potentially help him eliminate us and thus clearing his path in becoming the future king. Duryodhan announced that he will make Karna, the king of Anga kingdom. He announced it without taking any permission from Bade Pitashree nor from Pitamah Bhishm, and by this act everyone got to know that it was actually Duryodhan who was wielding the real power instead of his father king Dhritarashtra. That evening amidst the chants of the vedic mantras Karna was coronated as the king of Anga kingdom.

Already it was late in the evening, and not much time was left to do the duel, but I was eager to compete in the duel, not because Karna equalled my feats in his display but the way he barged in uninvited and spoke in such a disrespectful way, I felt he not only insulted me but also insulted my Guru Acharya Dron as well. And, I needed to respond to protect the name of my Acharya. When we were about to start the duel, we saw an old man named Atiratha, the charioteer, walk up to Karna and hug him. He praised Duryodhan for bestowing on his son Karna, the kingdom of Anga. Karna knelt at the feet of his father and took his blessings. Bhim bhai who was watching all this for a while now, was seething with anger not because of Karna becoming the king of Anga nor his display of skills, but his uninvited barging into the exhibition meant for the students of Acharya Dron and more importantly the way he spoke in a disrespectful manner to me. Bhim bhai always had great protective instincts for his family as he loved his family dearly and anyone insulting or harming them would not escape his wrath. Bhim bhai now wanted to teach that young man Karna in his own manner and uttered 'Sutaputra! You aren't worthy enough to die at Arjuna's hands. A whip suits you better than a bow'. Even though, those were harsh words on the part of Bhim bhai, but as I said many times earlier, when any member of his family was insulted then that person had to face his wrath. Bhim bhai took it was a personal insult, when I his younger brother was taunted by Karna and Duryodhan. That was my Bhim bhai's nature, he would give life to a loved one but at the same time will not hesitate for a moment to take life out of an enemy. No half measures nor compromises for him.

Amidst all of these happenings, it was too dark now for a duel. But, there would be no shortage of duels in the future between us and on every such occasion I had a better of him, and the boasting of his would not be fulfilled in his lifetime.