Chapter 24: Grand Reception

Next day, I woke up a bit late as I was very tired of the previous day's battle and of our long return journey. As students it was our last day at Gurukul and that morning I found Acharya to be in great spirits, and he was making preparations to go to the kingdom of north Panchal along with Guru bhai Ashwathama to officially crown him as Prince. Though I did not find much enthusiasm in Guru bhai Ashwathama with regards all this. I always found him to be more interested in learning various facets of archery, learning new fighting techniques, doing meditation and spending time in the temple praying to Mahadev. Mahadev was his aradhya similar to mine and we used to personally decorate Mahadev's temple every Monday.

Our emotions were running high as it was our last day as students at Gurukul and we had so many fond memories to savour. We went to Guru maa Kripi's hermitage to take her blessings, she became emotional and with choked voice spoke to us and gave her blessings. We had great love and respect for her, and treated her as our mother. She prepared delicious lunch for us and we had great time reminiscing some of the memorable incidents of our life at Gurukul, specially ones during our initial years at the ashram. The way Guru maa Kripi used to save extra food for Bhim bhai and keep it safe in one of vessels in the kitchen, so that Bhim bhai could have it whenever he was hungry. Bhim bhai had tears remembering the love she showered on us.

Finally, it was time to face the most difficult moment for me, which was to bid farewell to my beloved teacher Acharya Dron. I was not able to control my tears when I neared Acharya and he too was overcome by emotions and clasped me to his chest and gently tapped my shoulders and gave his blessings. With emotion filled voice and in front of everyone he said 'My dear Arjuna, with the completion of your training, now I feel like my life's mission is fulfilled. My ambition in life was to train a student who will not only be the greatest archer in the world but also the most skillful all-round warrior. Another desire of mine was to teach that haughty Drupad a lesson. Through Guru Dakshina you fulfilled that desire of mine as well and ensured the person who insulted your Guru was humbled. With you as my student, all my ambitions are fulfilled. My dear child, you made me proud not only with your prowess and valour, but also with your focus, determination, commitment and total surrender. Future generations will identify the name of Acharya Dron as the teacher of the greatest archer Arjuna'. Also, in front everyone, Acharya asked me one more thing saying, 'My dear Arjuna, I want you to give me one more promise and once promised you will fulfill it and will never shy away from it'. I humbly said, yes Gurudev I will abide by it, and then Acharya shocked me by saying 'My dear Arjuna, promise me that you will not back off but fight with me when the situation demands. Your Guru requests you to promise him this, will you fulfill this final request of your Guru?'.

With tears streaming down, I said yes and immediately touched Acharya's feet and asked him why he was asking for such promise and to which he replied, 'My child, you are a noble person, and you would have never lifted your weapon against me, if I had not extracted this promise from you. My child, you will soon conquer the world with your valour and may be as a result of that, circumstances may force you to fight with me in future, so I want to make sure my favourite disciple, who is dearer to me than my own son, will not waver during that time, but will do his Kshatriya duties'. My heart was thudding listening to those words of Acharya and scarcely did I know it was premonition of future carnage that was going to happen in Aryavarth and Acharya was ensuring my hands were not tied at that time.

With heavy heart, we bid farewell to our dear Acharya, Guru maa Kripi, Guru bhai Ashwathama, teachers and friends. And, started our journey back to our home Hastinapur. I was grim throughout the journey thinking of the strange promise which Acharya took from me. Even Bhim bhai, who usually was in high spirits was feeling a bit low on hearing those parting words from Acharya. Yudhi bhai and Sahadev were calm though and did not show much emotions. Nakul was in good spirits as he was eager to reach our home.

When we reached the outskirts of Hastinapur, we saw the roads were decorated grandly with beautiful flowers, decorative lamps were placed at various corners and were shining brightly, houses were painted in bright colours, and people flocking to see us. All this represented a great festive atmosphere, and people were chanting our names loudly, 'Dharmatma Yudhistir ki jai, Maha balwaan Bhim ki jai, Maha yoddha Arjun ki jai, Shoorveer Sundar Nakul ki jai, Gyaani Sahadev ki jai'. Crowd was thundering loudly recounting the valour which we displayed in our first battle against Maharaj Drupad. Hearing such praises from the crowd made Duryodhan and Dushshasan flushed with anger and jealousy.

When we reached the gates of Hastinapur palace, we saw Pitamash Bhishm welcoming us. We were given a grand red carpet welcome and conches were blown loudly in our honour. Pitamah's face was shining with pride and he looked extremely happy. We took his blessings by touching his feet and as I was about to go, he called me fondly and said 'My dear Savyasachi, will you not embrace your old Pitamah like you used to do in your childhood?'. I cried hearing that and embraced him warmly, from my childhood Pitamah and I had a special bond. Pitamah then announced 'My dear children, I'm extremely happy to see you all complete the weapons training successfully at Acharya Dron's ashram. Today, I can proudly feel that the future of our kingdom is secured. I heard from the spies the way Pandavas have fought their first battle against Maharaj Drupad and how quickly they decimated his army. I heard from the spies the valour and the lightness of hands displayed by Arjuna, the destruction caused by Bhimsen to the elephant divisions of the enemy and the able support of Nakul and Sahadev. Seeing the valour and skills displayed by Arjuna, I'm relived that soon I will be able to relinquish the great burden of being commander-in-chief of Hastinapur and appoint him the new commander-in-chief of Hastinapur army. Arjuna will be the mightiest warrior to emerge from our lineage and today I present to him this majestic and divine sword which I received from my Guru Parushuram, as my gift to the future commander-in-chief.' The sword was stunning to look at, it was had beautiful jewels encrusted and was deadly sharp. I was so happy to get that gift from my beloved Pitamah.

After taking blessings from Pitamah, we went to the Palace and took blessings from Bade Pitashree and as usual he did not seem very enthusiastic to meet us, instead was looking a bit depressed. Of course, it was not hard for us to understand the emotions and feelings of our Bade Pitashree, as he always acted only in the interests of his son Duryodhan and never displayed any genuine love or care for us. Next, it was the turn to get aashirwaad from Badi Mata Gandhari, and with her we could clearly see the warmth and genuineness. She tapped my head gently and said 'My dear Phalgun, I'm proud of you and pleased to hear that soon you will be appointed as commander-in-chief of Hastinapur. My child I bless you to achieve many more milestones in the future, and may your fame spread far and wide across Aryavarth'. When I recollect all these incidents, I feel so lucky to get such unconditional love and affection from Mata Gandhari, Pitamah Bhishm, Vidur Kaka, Acharya Dron and so on. Their blessings and wishes certainly contributed to whatever successes I have had in my life.