Chapter 40: Invitation

After many efforts kakashree Vidur was finally successful in showing the correct path to bade pitashree and after listening to the wise counsel of kakashree, Maharaj eventually made up his mind to invite us from the Panchal kingdom back to Hastinapur and he instructed kakashree himself go as an emissary. Also, he instructed for many jewels, valuable silks, and other rare ornaments be sent along with kakashree as his welcome gifts for us.

After long travel, kakashree finally arrived in Panchal and was duly welcomed by Maharaj Drupad, Madhav, Balaram Dau and us. We inquired about each other's welfare, embraced kakashree and took his blessings, and we felt so happy to see our beloved kakashree after a long time. Kakashree was one of the few people in Hastinapur who genuinely loved us and always wanted us to be treated fairly and on par with our Kaurava brothers. He always tried to drill sense into bade pitashree and to put a lid on the growing hatred, jealousy and machinations on part of Duryodhan's team comprising Shakuni mama, Angraj Karna, Dushshasan, but unfortunately many times he failed to do so, and personally in my view was chiefly responsible for the mayhem to be unleashed later on.

Kakashree met mata kunti in one of the palace chambers allotted for us by Maharaj Drupad, kakashree was overwhelmed to finally see mata hale and healthy and more importantly alive and was not able to control his emotions and tears were continuously rolling from his eyes and touched mata's feet and mata too was overwhelmed to see the state of kakashree and pulled him up to bless. After passing away of our father, the unconditional love and support we received from our kakashree was immense and unforgettable, and we would always be grateful for his kindness. Mata Kunti had great affection for him and treated him as her own brother and kakashree too reciprocated the same and treated mata not as his bhabhishree but as his badi behen. Draupadi came forward to seek the blessings of kakashree and was blessed by him. Finally, after the emotional meetup, it was time for some fun and lighter moments, and with Madhav as our company there was never any shortage of some good fun filled moments. Madhav was in his usual cheerful mood and cracked jokes and made everyone laugh, one of my most cherished moments in life was to spend quality time with Madhav, time just passed in a jiffy whenever I was in his company.

In kakashree's honour Maharaj Drupad ordered for sumptuous dinner and little did we know that a great surprise was waiting for us in dinner hall. Many delicacies were prepared and the smell of the delicacies was divine and the flavours engulfed everyone in its wake. Bhim bhai's craving was now uncontrollable and he made a jump to his dining seat without waiting for anyone and started to serve dishes/sweets all by himself. This act of his made everyone laugh uproariously and one could see the innocence of the mighty mace fighter acting like a child in front of his favourite one in all world, which was some nice food! Rest of us were also drawn to the flavours and smell of the delicacies and everyone simply were lost in tasting various dishes and all of us enjoyed the food to our heart's content and Bhim bhai who was a great chef himself asked who had prepared such delicious food the likes of which he never tasted all his life. Maharaj Drupad had a beaming smile on his face and proudly said it was prepared by none other than his dearest daughter, the princess of Panchal Draupadi. Everyone was stunned to hear Draupadi's name as we did not expect the delicate princess growing in every kind of luxury and comfort would be able to learn and cook something as delicious we just had.

Everyone applauded Draupadi for preparing such amazing delicacies which made her shy for the lavish praise that was being showered on her, Bhim bhai without any hesitation said he would like her to be his tutor and would want to learn from her the secrets for such amazing cooking skills. I could see the that the earnest praises from everyone made Draupadi elated and she humbly thanked everyone with her polite and stately demeanour. Yudhi bhai who was composed most of the times and rarely went overboard also showered heaps of praise on Draupadi. Nakul who was full of life and rarely bothered with formalities and all, quickly jumped up from his seat and went near Draupadi and bowed in an exaggerated fashion making everyone laugh. Sahadev too praised Draupadi very much and so was Madhav, Balaram Dau and the guest of honour kakashree as well.

I was feeling very proud of Draupadi and was immensely happy with the praises that were being showered on her and amidst all of this, I failed to express myself to acknowledge and shower praise on Draupadi, and this did not go unnoticed by the beautiful princess, who gave a sharp and questioning look as if to ask if I did not like the food. I was brought to reality by that beautiful and angelic face and I immediately realised my folly and with pleading eyes expressed sorry and immediately gave a thumbs up for her fantastic cooking skills and this expression of mine brought a immediate charming smile to the princess, and all this did not escape from the sharp eyes of Madhav who coughed a bit too loud to bring to make us bring back to reality from our emotional flow.

After dinner, a brief discussion was held in Maharaj Drupad's inner consultation chamber where everyone was present and in their presence kakashree put forth the proposal which he brought from bade pitashree to invite us back with honour to our ancestral kingdom at Hastinapur. Maharaj Drupad was a bit apprehensive with this proposal as he aware of the deadly schemes plotted by Duryodhan along with his team to wipe us out, so he asked for advice on this from Madhav, and also opinion from mata Kunti. Madhav was very clear in his stance and said that we should be going back to Hastinapur to claim our legal rights as it was the kingdom which was ruled in the past by the great warrior and statesman who was none other than our beloved pitashree Maharaj Pandu. Mata Kunti was also vocal in her viewpoint and sided with Madhav to reclaim rights on our ancestral kingdom. Madhav also asked for the opinion of Yudhi bhai, Bhim bhai and rest of us including Draupadi. All of us were unanimous in accepting the invite and this made kakashree Vidur very happy.

Just before retiring to our bedrooms I wanted to have a chat with Madhav, so I went to his chambers to discuss on how to confront the situation which we would be facing at Hastinapur, it was not lost on me that the team of Duryodhan would be looking out for every opportunity to insult and humiliate us and our unusual marriage with Draupadi would be targeted by them with their nasty remarks. But, all of these doubts and apprehensions of mine were squashed by the divine smile of Madhav, who simply said those who sow such seeds of hatred will ultimately be taken care of the nature itself and none in this world can escape the wrath of the nature when someone dares to commit crimes against God's wonderful creation that is women. As usual such soothing and wise words of Madhav made me relax and after a while I went to my chambers but was surprised to see Maharaj Drupad sitting on the chair in my chambers, hearing my footsteps he arose from the chair and hugged me tightly and tears were rolling from his eyes. I was shocked at this gesture and calmed Maharaj Drupad and asked him for the reason, he said he always wanted me as his son-in-law and was immensely happy after knowing that I was the one who strung the bow and shot the target but the incidents which happened after the Swayamvar and the unusual marriage situation has caused great amount of tension to him on how it would work out and the great burden which would be put on Draupadi. I was moved by the concern and love Maharaj Drupad had for his princess and I assured him that we all brothers would ensure that the princess would feel secure and happy at all times and we will be there for us. All this time, I did not know that Draupadi too was in the chambers along with her father, and I could see some tears which made me vulnerable but a bright smile from her vanished the fears lodged from my heart. Maharaj Drupad patted my back and said he was confident that we will take care of Draupadi and shower her with love and respect.