21

Percy:

We raced down the roads but it was like everything was slowing down. The nervousness in the pit of my stomach grew, if we had a monster on our tail and didn't make it to camp in time we would be toast. It also didn't help the a nasty storm was forming all around us.

Annabeth reached forward, we were just outside of Manhattan, she tugged in my shirt and told me we needed to stop for a bathroom break. We were on route 78 . I pulled up to motorbike and Lita jumped off and zipped into the bathroom.

A gentle rain was drifting around us. I looked back as Annabeth, she was bugging her lip and fiddling with the college ring on her necklace.

"Are you okay?" I turned in the bike and touched her shoulder.

"Just nervous, just nerves".

"We are going to get to camp okay, I have faith"

"Faith in what".

"Faith in us". I squeezed her hand and kissed her cold forehead. Lita had stumbled out of the bathroom and the rain around us was staring to fall heavily.

Suddenly a blood curling scream ripped through the damp air.

Annabeth and I jumped out of our skins and looked at Lita, who was in a state of pure terror.

She was staring wide eyes down the road and through the rain. I squinted and saw a shape moving through the pounding rain.

It was truly Gargantuan. It looked like a cat or....or ... or a.

"Get on the motorbike NOW!" I yelled.

I started the bike and Lita threw herself onto the back. I speed full throttle through the rain that was now whipping our skin and pounding the road.

"PERCY WHAT THE HADES WAS THAT?!" Annabeth screamed through the thrashing rain.

"IT...ITS THE CHIMERA"

A chill past through the air.

"LIKE THE ONE THAT YOU FOUGHT".

"YES, BUT ITS BIGGER THAN LAST TIME".

"did-DIDNT IT BEAT YOU LAST TIME".

I was silent but Annabeth got the message.

"Oh-Oh no, this is really bad, t-his is"

I could feel the fear in Annabeth's voice, her shivering body pressed close to mine was colder than ice.

We sped through the streets of Brooklyn. The neon signs blaring through the crashing rain. Luckily for us, the streets were empty because it wasn't safe to drive but that didn't stop some taxis bustling by us. This rain was slowing us down, I cold almost feel the chimera's gruesome breath edging closer, or that could be the east river.

Slowly we reached further into the other side of Long Island. The houses became less dense and the trees and forest grew wilder. We were drowned rats, not even my Poseidon powers were stopping this storm from damping me to my bones.

"Annabeth i can hardly see where I'm going, how far away is camp".

"I-" Annabeth was saying but Lita interrupted her.

"We need to pull over"

"What, why?" I asked

"Just trust me Percy"

I stopped on the road side. Lita leapt off the bike and began to look for something in her bag. She produced the chocolate bar that Hylla had given her. That felt like years ago.

"What are you going to do?" Annabeth asked.

"I'm going to sacrifice my chocolate bar to the gods". Her glowing eyes shone with hope.

"Lita" Annabeth sadly looked at her. "You couldn't start a fire in the rain".

"I'm not going to try and build a fire". Lita clutched her chocolate bar in her fist. She strained her eyes and stiffened her shoulders. Slowly the veins in her hand began to glow she light. Tongues of flame flickered up through her closed fist, which was now glowing like a coal in a fire.

Annabeth and I watched with amazed eyes. She looked up at us. "Which god". Annabeth and I had been through this whole Charade before, but breaking this young halfbloods hope didn't feel right. We shrugged.

She smiled and tightened her eyes again.

" dear goddess Artemis, hunters and patron of the moon, eternal maiden, partake of my offering". Lita opened her fist and in the dark rain, ashes floated out of her empty fist.

Annabeth leaned forward and wrapped her shivering arms around Lita, I wrapped my arms around Annabeth's back, we all silently willed for help and that we could all make it out of here alive.

A massive thunder clap erupted around us. I turned and started up the motor bike we drove deeper into the storm, the chimera followed us deeper into the storms.