Let's Profile

"That was interesting." Joe broke the silence.

"Sure was. What did you see?"

Joe smiled. Rita was testing him. "They didn't seem to have much money. The lawn needed mowing, and while there was an old rusty mower out by the garage, I doubt it is in working condition. Mrs. Wilkes' face looked in rough shape. Day or two at most, I would say. Maybe ribs broken or severely bruised as well. It seemed hard for her to breathe. By her reaction, not being surprised or even saddened by her husband's death, I mean, I might think she did it."

Rita looked at him but didn't say anything.

Joe continued. "But she in no way fits the description and could never be confused for being six feet tall. I would say more like five-two, maybe five-three at most and one-ten would be more like it. Now she could have hired someone but with what money? Neither her clothes, shoes or furniture looked expensive. Dishes piled near the sink were old, and while the place was clean, the carpets were a few decades from being new."

"OK. Anything else?"

"There are some overdue bills on the end table, but I didn't get a look as to which ones were unpaid. I think they lived more paycheck to paycheck. There was an envelope from the Riverside Bank. Still odd though, not seeming to care about your husband getting killed. And one more thing, I never heard you say Dave died of a shooting, only that he was dead." He wanted to ask if anything more was said while he was outside but didn't.

Rita gave him a sideways look and said, "You didn't ask why I sent you out?"

"Figured you wanted time alone with a battered wife. None of my business, I figured if there were anything you wanted me to know you would tell me. I can say the neighbor across the street looked out her window the whole time we were here."

Rita looked at Joe again. "What's your deal? You are as sharp as a tack. You see everything; why didn't you ever become a detective?"

Joe smiled. "I have been studying for the last, oh I guess, ten years. I've never taken the detective's test. I know I could pass it, but I'm fine where I am." Joe sighed.

Rita knew there was more to that story but figured it would come out in time. "I see your wedding ring; How long have you been married?"

Joe lifted his left hand and looked at his ring. "Nearly twenty years."

"That's nice," Rita said. The storm which had been building all day chose that moment to break. Rita leaned forward to try to see through the driving rain. They both jumped a little when the first lightning showed, and the thunder boomed immediately after.

"That was close," Joe said. He was interrupted by more thunder and lightning.

"I guess so. I'm going to pull over up here and let this pass." When she had pulled off the road and parked she asked, "Why a cop? You got family on the force?"

Joe was looking out the window at the rain beating down on the car. "No. Two thugs killed my parents coming out from a show." Joe looked at Rita. "That's why I became a cop. I was angry, and I wanted revenge for my parents." He went back to looking out the window. "I know now that is no reason to become a police officer, but it's the truth, and I don't deny it."

Joe took a deep breath before continuing.

"I wanted to be a teacher. My parents were teachers and loved by everyone. I wanted to be like that. We were a close family. Anyway, about three weeks into the academy I got word that a 'Dirty Harry' shot my parent's killers in a convenience store. Matched the gun and eyewitness reports to the two who did my parents. I thought about leaving the academy right then but figured what the hell maybe I could do some good."