Meet Jasper

Joe had no trouble getting through the gates this time and he found Professor Wright in his lab.

Professor Wright smiled as he saw Joe. "Hi, Joe. Do you have more questions for me?"

"Hi Professor," Joe said as they shook hands.

"I think only one. Professor, do you know, Ms. Jennings?"

"Martha, yes of course. She is my housekeeper."

Joe's heart sank. "Has she ever worked here?"

"No. Not to my knowledge, why?"

"She was found dead."

"Oh, my God. How?"

"Dimethyl mercury."

"I see. That's why you are here," nodding the professor continued, "you suspect that I had something to do with the guard's death. And now poor Martha."

"Yes," Joe said sadly. "Did you know David Wilkes is suspected in your daughter's disappearance?"

"Yes, of course. The police told me, but the police could find no evidence to connect him. Did you find any?"

Joe shook his head. "No, but that is not our case. We are looking, however."

"Because if he did kill my daughter, and I knew it, I might want revenge."

"Yes."

"I would you know."

"Would what?" Joe asked.

"I would want revenge. I might even have used Dimethyl mercury if I had thought of it."

Joe smiled. "Don't tell me that. I don't want you to have a connection."

The professor looked at Joe. "Thank you. That is very kind. I cannot prove I didn't."

"May we search your house?"

"Yes, of course. The lab also if it will help."

Joe got up to leave. "I'm sorry professor. For what it is worth, I hope we find out Mr. Wilkes killed your daughter. I'm sure that would give you some closure."

"And you a suspect."

Joe nodded, shook the professor's hand, and left.

<><><><><><><><><><>

Ollie answered on the first ring, "I did not think you would call."

"I... didn't want to call you. I wasn't going to call. I am not sure... but I need help."

"I understand. How can I help you?"

Rita explained about the phone call from Isabelle.

Ollie listened and then asked, "What makes you think she is lying?"

Rita hesitated. "My brother is gay. He is not open about it. I know. Our parents know, but I don't think anyone else knows."

"Then how can Isabelle be his girlfriend?" Ollie asked.

"Exactly. But I have to go down to New Orleans and see."

"I am done here. Wait for me, and I will go with you."

Rita stiffened but said nothing.

"Rita. I did not kill anyone. I kept my word."

"Only maimed them," Rita spat out.

Chuckling. "No. I only talked and inferred. I can be quite persuasive."

Rita could picture that. "Alright, but I can't wait. I leave tonight. Can you come to New Orleans?"