Ollie Round Two

Judge Schwartz reluctantly signed the search warrant. He wasn't afraid, but there was not enough probable cause in his opinion. He signed it because the Mayor was all in an uproar and wanted fast action to close the case.

Rita, Joe and a host of other officers arrived at two-two-seven Hudson Street on the Tuesday after the bank robbery at precisely ten o'clock in the morning. Joe noticed the red and white kitchen chair leaning against the wall, in the hall. Rita had the warrant in her hand when she knocked on the door.

"Why hello, Rita. Hello Joe and I see you brought other friends as well. Come in, please. I have coffee on for you all, but I do not think there will be enough."

"This is a warrant to search the apartment, Mr. Oliver," Rita said sounding very formal.

"Yes. Yes, of course. Rita, please call me Ollie we are friends after all. Would you like me to wait out in the hall? I have a padded chair in the hall for just that purpose."

Rita waved the other officers into the apartment and said, "If you would prefer Mr. Oliver, you may sit in the hall." She had considered calling him Lawrence but didn't know what he would do if she did. How had he known they were coming? He had coffee brewing for them?

"OK. Anything that I can do to support you, good folks," Ollie was all smiles as he walked out the door. "There is a locked cabinet in the living room, here are the keys. The smallest one will open it for you."

Joe took the keys and walked into the apartment.

The apartment was spotless. Fresh paint covered the walls and trim. There was not a dirty dish, plate, pizza box, or even trash to find or search through.

Rita's heart sank. She knew they would find nothing here. Ollie was playing with them, and she knew it but couldn't do anything for the time being but play his game. He would slip up, she thought, but Rita didn't believe it.

As Rita suspected they found nothing of interest. Joe and Rita were the last to exit the apartment and were in the hall when Rita got an idea to change her approach. Mr. Oliver was sitting straight up in the chair with his hands on his crossed legs with a cat who ate the canary smile when Rita asked, "Why don't you tell us what you want us to know?"

Ollie turned his head to the side and looked up still smiling but with a relieved look as well. "I am glad we have come to an understanding, Miss. Rita."

Rita stiffened.

"No offense intended. I happen to approve of the name that is all. It would not be a fun game if two friends could not joke with each other. Tell me what kind of person was this fellow who fell ill at the bank?"

"You mean, shot dead at the bank," Joe said without humor. He was tossing the keys towards Ollie who deftly caught them in his left hand.

"Yes. Of course." Ollie answered looking at Joe now, the smile still on his face.

Rita now understood the question. "Dave, the man killed at the bank, was not a nice guy. We are finding it hard to feel much pity for him. Maybe the world owes this killer a thank you. What do you think?"

Ollie seemed to be regarding this question with much thought, "That is an interesting thing to say. I do not feel that anyone should have to die, but I do understand that the world is a dangerous place where one's end could come at any time." The smile had left his face, "I have contemplated my demise many times over the years, have you, Detective?"

Rita searched Ollie's face. She was no longer seeing arrogance but what? She felt that the question was not a threat. Oh my God, its a sincere, heartfelt question.