Nick's Apartment

Joe hoped they wouldn't find anything at the Professor's house and they didn't. Not for lack of trying. They searched for an hour and a half and came up empty.

Joe apologized to Professor Wright and left. His phone chirped as he got in the car. "Frank, what do you have?"

"I don't know but can you come in. I want to show you something. You can tell me if it's anything."

Joe looked at the time four-fifty-five. "Frank can it wait until morning. I have an appointment."

"Yeah, I guess so. As I said, I don't know if it's anything important."

"Ok, I will see you in the morning, first thing."

"Gotcha." Frank hung up.

Joe felt slightly guilty. He didn't have an appointment per se. He was to meet his Abby and tell her about the upcoming test. "I'd rather face a firing squad," he said out loud. "What am I saying, I am going to face a firing squad." Damn, he knew he was in trouble.

Abby had dinner on the table when he arrived ten minutes later.

"Wow, it smells great. What's for dinner?" Joe said as he entered the house.

"Chicken a la Abby," Abby said chuckling. "Just the way you like it."

"Without lemon?"

"Yes dear. no lemon."

"You're the best honey." Joe knew he should not have said that as soon as it left his lips.

Abby stopped filling the plates and turned to look at Joe. "What?"

"What, what?" Joe said, but he already knew he was in trouble.

"Oh, hell no. You don't come in here and tell me 'you're the best honey' without something. What the hell did you do now?"

"Honey, can we eat dinner first?"

"Don't you honey me, and I'll throw all this out if you don't spill it now."

Joe took a deep breath and let it out slowly; it might as well be now.

"Abby, can we sit down for a minute?"

Abby slowly set the plate down and said, "Spill it and be quick about it. I don't want to worry any more than I am right now."

They sat at the dining table facing each other.

"The Captain called me into his office and told me he wants me to take the detective's test." Joe got it out as quickly as possible.

"And?"

"I think... no, I want to take it. It will mean more money and better benefits."

"But?" Abby could always see through him.

"But my hours will be more... flexible," Joe said hesitantly.

"Meaning you may have to work more nights and weekends."

"Yes. That's true, but did I mention more money?" Joe said.

"Uh, huh."

Joe didn't know what else to say.

There was a terrible silent period before Abby said, "You want this, don't you?"

"Yes, I think I do. Assuming I pass the test."

"You know you will. I have seen you study."

"I think I will but who knows."

"Were you afraid to tell me?"