05 | a lose-lose situation

━ OCTOBER , 2022 ━

OCTOBER , 2022 ━

ISABELLE

        KATHERINE WAS INVOLVED in a heated argument with Gabriel Sanders when I hit my dorm room after an exceptionally long day at the microbiology laboratories.

      She had skipped class this morning, the excuse being an incessant headache ─ all thanks to the sorority pregame last night. I sometimes wonder how she manages to adapt to the disgusting fluid called vodka. It wasn't known to me of course, since my low alcohol tolerance and migraine would never allow me a bottle of booze.

       "Jeez, y'all should lower your voices, you're audible across the hall!" I mutter, opening the mini fridge to take out my salad and chicken.

      "Say that to your roommate" Gabriel scoffs. He looked mad, eyebrows knit together coupled with a persistent frown, but not as mad as his girlfriend who was flaring her nostrils ─ cheeks and ears tinted red in anger.

      "Everything that matters to him is his reputation." Kat fumes. If looks could kill, Gabriel would have been six feet under.

     "And soccer." He makes an attempt to correct her, my clean blonde roommate go haywire. She picks up a cushion that hits Gabriel's face in a matter of seconds and I couldn't help but be amused at her choice of weapons.

    "Whoa whoa I still can't process anything but Gabbie, you should leave ─ it's past eight." I state, exchanging a glance with Kat.

     Yale was pretty strict when it came to visiting hours. Especially, in all female dorms.

     Katherine walks away to the bathroom, probably because her tear tanks were on the verge of breaking down into a flood. I needed to talk to her.

    Once she was out of earshot, Gabriel looks at me and by the little display of emotion in his hazel green eyes, I could tell that he was sorry.

   "What happened bro?"

   "Kat wants me to meet her parents this Thanksgiving" he says, shifting the weight between his legs.

   "So where's the problem?"

   "It's not like I don't want to but ─" Gabriel pauses to inhale.

   "But?"

    "But I think I'll make a mess of myself. I am not sure her parents will even like him. I mean, look at me! I'm just here on my sports scholarship. I don't even have a fair GPA. And you yourself say that I ─"