18 | unstable hearts

━ DECEMBER, 2022 ━

DECEMBER, 2022

ISABELLE

           NOT EVEN HALFWAY through Temple Street, which would lead me to the Yale Campus entry gates (for the second time this day), my phone comes to life with a frivolous buzz and startles the crap out of me. Sky Miller spares a quick glance my way as I struggle to answer Katherine's impromptu call.

          "Where are you kiddo? We're all waiting for you, the party's getting started!" A voice ─ not Katherine's ─ greets me and thanks to the insanely loud bass in the background, it takes me a good minute to figure out its none other than Gabriel Sanders.

        "Call me kiddo once again and I'll stab you with a pitchfork!" I threaten playfully, totally not surprised to see Sky's horrified expression through the corner of my eye. I hide a smile. "And what party are you talking about?"

        "Hello? I can't even hear ─ bro watch how you walk ─ yeah sorry Izzy, some guy almost spilled his drink on my shirt . . . Anyway, no shit,  you can't possibly forget it's Regina's birthday right? Although it's not midnight yet but really? I texted you last night because I couldn't decide what to gift her and ─"

       "And I told you to go with the ribbed t-shirt, yes I remember now" I huff, furrowing my eyebrows to see that Sky had stopped the car near the New Haven Museum all because of a malnutritioned stray dog crossing the street. I wondered if he'd do the same if Dr. Arora and his purple haired girlfriend had accompanied us because clearly, he wouldn't be acting stupidly kind in front of his friends and that way, I'd know if his cold exterior is just a false show.

        "Yeah, and ─ wait a minute Kat ─ Jesus, talk to your roomie!" Gabriel grumbles, handing over the phone to Kat in a jiffy. My best friend squeals like a baby in response, which is the Katherine code for pissed drunk.

        "Izzy Peasy come on girl you cannot skip this partayyy!" She screams and I mentally visualize Gabs and Abby with their disapproving looks trying to calm her down. Although Kat wasn't that huge of an alcohol fan, she loved to burn her throat with vodka shots every once in a while. Tonight was one such occasion.

       "I'll be there in a few" I manage, checking my outfit in the rear view mirror. Thankfully, I was wearing the black dress I was originally supposed to wear underneath the blazer. Although Reg's birthday party had completely slipped my mind, I was relieved that I had not, at least, dressed wrong for it.

      "Ryan and I will be at the back door, just text me when you reach 'cause as you can guess we literally have to scream every time we need to talk" Gabriel tells me, probably after he has successfully snatched Kat's phone again. I disconnect the call, leaning back against the plush leather seat of Sky Miller's mustang, only to find his eyes on me the whole time.