10 | tangled

━ OCTOBER , 2022 ━

━ OCTOBER , 2022 ━

SKY

           SHE DOESN'T SEE me watching her storm out of the fraternity house, looking like she's about to throw up. She also doesn't see me when I begin to jog behind her, trying to catch up to her pace, dodging too many people on the way ─ all in an attempt to return her bracelet.

        I wouldn't have followed her, of course, if not for the said reason. Because I'm me and I never, ever go after girls. It's always been the other way round and Isabelle was no exception. At least that's what I knew when I had met her for the first time two years ago. But tonight, I had to excuse myself. Mostly because nobody else seemed to notice her running away, looking like a disaster and I couldn't just sit there and pretend I didn't care. Even though she'd beg to differ on that.

      Isabelle Wilson slams the car door shut, revving up the engine angrily as I lean against my Mustang, contemplating if I should just stop her now or drive up to her dorm. I felt like a stalker, obviously. And I'm compelled to choose the latter option because she doesn't give me enough time ─ speeding away without second thought. Something was definitely wrong.

       I'd also better not get involved, I thought. All I needed to do was stop her before she disappeared and return her the bracelet. No more no less.

       About nine minutes later, I am still following her up the stairs, not knowing for whatever reason she ditched the elevator that was working perfectly. I had to take the same way up, since I couldn't risk losing her. Because that would mean another day of me trying to talk to her and her acting like she doesn't know me. For a girl six years younger, she sure had some guts.

         Isabelle stops only at the fourth floor of the dorm building, panting heavily as she unlocks the door with shaky fingers. Jesus, I could sense it wasn't the right time to approach her at all, for several reasons. One, she was obviously drunk and two, she probably hated me in every possible way. But I had no choice either. Ergo, I clear my throat.

        "Sky, you're really are the last person I wanna see at the moment" She states, without turning back. It makes me flinch and the sudden realization dawns on me that she had known I was following her the whole time. Fuck.

       "I'd leave, I just needed to return something" I manage to say. The air was so tense I could hardly breathe. In other words, she was making me unbelievably nervous and I wasn't ready to admit that. Isabelle steps inside the dorm room, finally turning on her heels to face me.

       "Return what?" She exhales and it appears like she's about to scream at me ─ lips turned down slightly in an attempt to keep her calm, teardrops glistening in the corners of her warm brown eyes. So she'd been crying.