12 | bite my tongue

━ NOVEMBER , 2022 ━

NOVEMBER , 2022

ISABELLE

          THE SOUND OF water hitting the dry bottom of the bathtub is deafening as I slide down against the pristine white fiberglass ─ the steam rising up gradually, disappearing into the frigid air. I pour a huge dollop of the cocoa butter body wash on the palm of my hand, the caramel brown liquid smelling like heaven. A perfect way to end an entire day of multifold disasters.

        It's been three and a half weeks since Halloween and Sky Miller hadn't shown up yet. I didn't know if he was busy or out of New Haven or avoiding me on purpose. The latter option being the most probable. Maybe he regretted the kiss even more than I did. I had the option to call or text him of course, and dwell on the matter non stop until he answered me but that was a thing I did in the past. If there was anything I valued the most right now, it would be my self respect. And I wasn't letting Sky Miller rain on that parade, again.

        But that wasn't exactly the reason behind my distress in the current scenario and there were plenty other things besides Sky on my list of dissapointments, to begin with.

       When I woke up this morning, I swear I hadn't done anything as harmful to deserve a horrible day like this. Except maybe drinking in my weight in the form of two medium sized Hot Caramel Machhiatos from Dunkin' Donuts on my way to class.

       Around 10 am, that is, right after our morning lecture on Organic Chemistry had ended, I was sitting in Starbucks with the Dunkin's coffee (yeah, sue me) ─ accompanied by Eleanor Johnson and Abigail Kingsley; the three of us trying to concentrate on our respective laptop screens. Katherine was sleeping in, making her absence very much felt since I barely ever hung out with people without her on my side. But unlike me, her brain thrived at night. Hence, her choice of classes in the afternoon and evening.

        "You're lucky they haven't seen that logo yet" Eleanor snorted, pointing at the lukewarm liquid I was sipping. Behind her on the counter, the coffee machine beeped loudly.

       "Lucky" I laughed sarcastically, not looking up to meet her eyes. Even though I hadn't really confronted her on the Alexander situation, I was still pretty mad at her for not letting me know and at that moment, it took me a lot of patience not to snap. I was also on my periods, justifying my extra bitchy mood.

       "Heard from Sky yet? Halloween's long gone" Abigail asked, wrapping a thick strand of bright blonde hair around her index finger. Besides Kat, she was the only person who knew about the happenings on pre-Halloween and her sudden mention of the same in the presence of Eleanor threw me off guard.