07 | bitchcraft

━ OCTOBER , 2022 ━

━ OCTOBER , 2022 ━

bitchcraft : the art of pissing people off by telling them the truth.

ISABELLE

        THE WIND WASN'T just cold, it was icy. Mingled with microscopic snowflakes and fog so thick that even the buildings on the next block had practically turned invisible. Who could say it was sunny even an hour ago? But I hardly had the audacity to focus on the weather, granted Sky Miller's hand constantly (and accidentally) brushed against mine, as I walked him out of Eleanor's dorm building.

      "You should get inside, it's freezing" He says, releasing a puff of cold breath that disappears into the air like smoke.

      "The cold doesn't bother me much" I respond with a nonchalant shrug. I had been a fan of winter since forever. And New Haven happened to provide the cherry on top.

      "It will, once you get the flu" He mutters, lazily unlocking the door to his crystal blue Mustang.

       The ride back a while ago had been, fortunately, silent. The air between us was unbelievably tense, which is needless to say. But Sky was a good driver, I'll give him that. And his eyes being entirely focussed on the road and the steering wheel gave me the benefit of a twenty minute, anxiety-ridden monologue.

     However, it wasn't just me who was in a state of unrest. Katherine's expression, when she had seen me enter Lea's dorm room followed by Sky Miller in white coat and a stethoscope dangling round his neck, was worth capturing. Jacob was surprised too, of course. He had known me back from high school and had also known the thing about Sky in the process. But I guess he was way more concerned about Lea than he was about people reappearing from the past.

    Eleanor Johnson's insulin levels had dropped, causing the whole situation. That, and a coincidental stomach bug.

     "I'll mail the prescription" Sky adds, in a very professional tone this time, before getting inside the car.

      The parking lot was ghostly quiet, a notable contradiction to how it is on weekday mornings. I figured it was pre finals week and the intense cold wave behind the eerie atmosphere.

    "Sure. And, um, thanks." I manage to say, the insides of my stomach feeling like a butterfly riot.

      His dark eyes meet mine for a second or two and I don't know if what they say about time can stop is true, but it sure felt like it.

     "See you" He gives the ghost of a smile before speeding off into the rain-snow.

     Back in room number 202, three people expected explanations. And I, sure as hell, wasn't ready.