09 | carpe noctem

━ OCTOBER, 2022 ━

OCTOBER, 2022

carpe noctem (latin) : seize the night

ISABELLE

           THE THING ABOUT parties is that even though they are basically organized for people and friends to have fun together, most of them actually end up either pissed drunk and heartbroken or happily drunk and in someone's bed. No, I'm not trying to stereotype it, of course. There were people like us, people like me ─ who usually just hung out by the bar, watching others get drunk instead and patiently waiting for your friends to leave the dance floor so that you can drive them back home and finally resort to the comfort of your bed.

         But that was not the case tonight.

         With Katherine having claimed I was going to do vodka shots so confidently in front of Regina Rodriguez, I really didn't have the heart to ruin her plans. Besides Ryan ─ who had now joined the gang ─ insisted vodka was close to the only alcoholic drink that would not give me a pathetic hangover and worsen my migraine. Maybe I wouldn't have agreed to that either, but it wasn't a weekday and the intense stress of having to deal with the whole 'assignments, GRL and Sky Miller' situation literally screamed at me to go easy for a while.

         "So? Drink up little lady" Abigail wiggles her eyebrows, offering me the shot glass filled to the brim. And even though I knew I would regret it, I always did ─ no matter if it's wine or beer ─ I chug it down my throat, feeling the burn as the liquid hits my oesophegus.

       "Whoa, that's new" Regina comments, sipping on her glass of Rob Roy.

       "See? Told ya" Kat playfully bumps her shoulder against mine and I decide it would be better to not complain about the miserable bitter taste in my mouth. I would save that for when we get back to the dorm.

       There weren't many faces in this party that I knew. As if I ever do, in any party. But this one seemed to be a lot more overwhelming ─ with people from every part of Yale flooding the dance floor, flipping red solo cups and making out on literally every couch. I, on the other hand, make a firm mental note not to come here tomorrow ─ when the crowd will be like ten times more and, be in the scariest of costumes.

         "Ryan, do you think Xan would be here by any chance?" I ask, adjusting my gold hoop earrings.

         The latest Dua Lipa track blaring in the Bluetooth speakers makes it almost impossible for us to hear each other, so Ryan leans forward to answer my question and earns multiple glares from the bunch of girls in the corner who had been checking him out.