15 | touché

━ DECEMBER , 2022 ━

DECEMBER , 2022

ISABELLE

            OLLIE IS A Scottish short hair with golden and white fur so soft you'd mistake her for a cotton ball. She's currently sprawled on the couch, tilting her head to glance at Katherine as she neatly folds her Halloween costume ─ she was dressed up as Red Riding Hood this year and needless to say, she was crowned party stunner for the third time in row.

         "Still gonna say, you should have come" Kat purses her lips, opening the door to her walk-in closet.

        "And I'm still gonna say, if I did celebrate Halloween, I'd dress up as sleeping beauty and hit the bed until someone kissed me awake" I shrug nonchalantly, feeding another bear shaped chocolate biscuit to Ollie. The cat softly purrs in content.

       Kat shoots me an annoyed glance before pulling out a dirty pair of white sneakers ─ one she has been wearing to literally everywhere these days.

      "You going out? It's snowing outside" I ask, eyes travelling to the fogged up window panes and the tiny white flakes layering up on the pavement. I wondered if they would postpone the Cell Bio exam that's due today, in about two hours. They usually don't, regardless of rain or sun. But the weather was getting worse every minute and we hadn't ever had a similar kind of snow on an exam day ─ there was a fair chance this could turn into a blizzard.

      "Nope" The blonde says, popping the p, "I'm just trying to clean these, since this is basically the only comfortable pair of shoes I own right now."

      I sigh in relief at her explanation, glad she wasn't running the risk of getting caught in a storm. The way I was, just a day before. It makes me shiver, the very thought of what could have happened if Xan wasn't on his way back from the library and hadn't picked me up in the icy rain drenching me head to toe. It also makes my mind drift back to what Ashley said. After all it was her call that had made me halt ─ oh how I wished I hadn't received it.

      "Hey, Isabelle! What's new?" Sky's older cousin had asked as soon as I had responded with a hi and before I could answer her question, she had cut me off (like she usually did, old habits die hard), "Anyway, I'm gonna skip the small talk. I just called to let you know I'm coming over to Connecticut ─ Yale to be specific. And the open to all New Year's Eve bash to be extremely specific. Guess who's invited me?"

       Her bubbly voice and the huge amount of information she rendered in a single speech, startled me for a moment. "Err, that's . . . that's great! What a surprise huh?" I faked, the anxiety creeping in to my veins as I spoke, "I'm really bad at the guessing game, who is it?" Another lie. I damn well knew who'd invite her ─ who else could except Sky Flynn Miller (also known as the cause of my distress)?