1

1
"And now Summer begins!" My roommate James Franco burst through my bedroom door cheering.

I groaned and rolled over to get away from his early morning energy.
"I thought summer meant we could sleep in."

"You sleep in every day, Gracie," he laughed.

I finally gave in and showered. When I came out, James was packing a suitcase and humming along quietly to himself.

"Why haven't you packed yet?"

"I'm not leaving for summer," I told him.

"But we have three months away from Uni - don't you want to get away?"

I told him I liked it here and left to get some breakfast but he followed me and blocked the fridge with his arms crossed.

"Gracie you hate it here, why don't you want to go home?"

"This is my home. My family don't want anything to do with me."

He looked guilty and just nodded as he made me pancakes; my sad food.

"You can stay with me if you like? My family would love you and my mum makes the best pancakes."

I looked up at him to see if he was being serious and his smile looked genuine.

"Are you sure? It's a bit last minute and I wouldn't want to impose."

"I'll call them now but I'm sure it would be no problem."

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Mum, Dad - this is Gracie," James introduced.

"It's lovely to meet you, sweetheart. We've heard so much about you," his mum said, hugging me warmly.

"Thank you so much for letting me stay here. I really appreciate it."

James showed me to the spare bedroom and let me unpack while he caught up with his parents. I chatted away to them at dinner and they made me feel really welcome.

"Thank you so much, James. Your parents are lovely," I told him after dinner.

His parents had gone to bed before us and we were watching a movie when there was a knock at the door which he got up to answer. I could hear James and another voice arguing vaguely in the hallway but I didn't want to disturb them because this was his house.

"You know you're not allowed to be here," I heard James say to the other person.

"That's no way to treat family. I only wanted to say hello - now let me in, Teddy," the other voice mocked. It was husky and gave me goosebumps which was weird because I hadn't even seen what this person looked like.

I couldn't make out the rest but James returned with the best looking boy I had ever seen. He was tall and broad with brown hair and a smirk on his face. James on the other hand looked uncomfortable for the first time since I'd known him - he was the kindest and happiest person ever and normally  liked everyone,  but standing next to this boy he looked on edge.

"Gracie this is Dave, my brother. Dave - Gracie."

Dave took my hand and shook it firmly, giving me a grin that didn't reach his eyes.

"You're James' girlfriend?" he asked.

"No, I'm his roommate at Uni."

Dave gave me another charming smile before glaring straight at James.

"So why's she here with us?"

I was taken aback at his words and stared open mouthed as he turned and smiled at me again. Fake ass bitch.

"Dave don't make this awkward. Gracie's our guest," James defended.

"Okay but I don't want anything to do with her."

I couldn't believe how rude he was being about me as I stood there, but from James' face it seemed like he was used to it.

"It was lovely to meet you," Dave said to me, hugging me and putting his hand lower than it should have been.

He left the room and I had whiplash from his mood swings.

"Sorry about him. Dave's never really been a people person and doesn't try and hide it. Try and ignore him. He's not allowed in the house at the moment so just give me one sec then I'll be back," James explained looking panicked as he left the room hurriedly.