14 - Final Chapter

14

I woke up with something heavy on me and I couldn't move, my initial response was to panic but I manoeuvred myself onto my back and I saw that it was an arm. Dave's arm. He was home. I rubbed it gently until he woke up and groaned before pulling me closer into him.

I didn't know how he was feeling but I'd take any comfort I could get so I snuggled into his embrace. When he woke up properly, he cupped my face in his hands and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Baby, I'm so so sorry for walking out on you last night. I didn't know how to cope but I had a while to think and the main thing I feel is anger at myself for leaving you when you needed me. We're gonna go to the doctor to confirm if you are pregnant, and if you are, it's your choice what you want to do. I'll stand by you whatever you choose. I'm here for you, okay?"

I nodded and cried as he pulled me into a hug. I was so grateful he was being supportive, even after last night. We went to the doctor who confirmed that I was pregnant. I didn't know what to say so let Dave do the talking as we discussed my options. I was zoning out and Dave had to support me as we walked to the car.

I still didn't have anything to say, so he drove me to McDonald's as we ate in silence.

"Gracie listen. We can get an abortion as soon as you like, or we can keep the baby and I'll do the best to be a dad. Or we can put it up for adoption but at a good orphanage where it'll have a good life. It's your call my love."

"But what if I don't want it to be?"

He squeezed my hand and when we got home I went to sleep to try and forget about it. I wasn't ready to be a mum, I had uni to get back to, and I was too young. Dave was here now but what would happen if he changed his mind? It wouldn't be fair on the child to raise them without a dad. There were good orphanages in the area but I knew if I continued with my pregnancy I would get attached to the baby and want to keep it. It seemed like the best choice was an abortion. I didn't know how I felt about that though.

————————————————

    5 years later

"Mama, mama I made breakfast!" My daughter Lily squealed, crawling on the bed.

"Hey sweetheart, mummy's not feeling so good. Why don't I see what you made?" Dave said, kissing our four year old daughter on her head and lifting her up effortlessly.

"You stay here babe, I'll make you a tea," he said to me, kissing my lips and putting his hand on my bump that held our unborn son.

Dave returned with Lily and a plate of pancakes, batter smeared over both of their faces.

"Thank you, baby,"I smiled, sitting up to eat the food.

Suddenly I felt a pain in my stomach and I reached for Dave's hand automatically.

"Babe! I think the baby's coming!"

"Oh shit!"

"Daddy, bad word!" Lily scolded.

Dave quickly dropped Lily off at James' house, which was just down the street luckily, before driving us to the hospital.

"It's okay love, breathe, we're going to have a son!"

I held his hand the whole time and only let go when it was time to told my son, Elijah. How did I get so lucky? I had a beautiful daughter, a caring husband and now a son. My life was perfect.