11

11

"You look amazing, Gracie," he said seriously, taking my hands to look at me.

"You don't look too bad yourself."

He had on a black button up shirt, black skinny jeans and smart shoes. He always looked good. The drive wasn't too long but I loved looking at the view as we drove; we'd gone into a small urban town and the streets were alive with people going about their evening. When we pulled up outside a restaurant I couldn't believe that we were going there.

It was huge and decorated in a fairly old style but it was a beautiful building. It looked posh and so did the people entering. We'd been out to eat before, but nowhere this nice and I was amazed that Dave had thought of, or found, such a nice place.

"Dave this place looks amazing! Are you sure we can eat here?"

He kissed my cheek and took my hand as we walked in.
"You deserve the best," he smiled at me.

We got seated at a lovely table by a window so we could look out at the beautiful garden as we ate. The food was delicious and I kept catching Dave smiling at me.

"Do I have something on my face?"

"You're so beautiful."

I smiled shyly at him and told him how lucky I was.

"I'm the lucky one, Gracie. God, you don't even know what you do to me, how you make me feel. Before I met you my life had no purpose. I had no feelings for anyone, no emotion. But now - you're the light in my life and I want you to know how grateful I am for everything you do for me," he confessed.

I took his hands on the table and stroked my thumb over his strong knuckles.
"I love you."

It was the first time I'd said that to him and panicked because I didn't know how he would react. Luckily he squeezed my hands and smiled back at me.

"I love you too."

We were just finishing our dessert when a man came in and did a double take before tapping Dave on the shoulder.

"Dave? Is that you?" he asked.

Dave turned around and an emotion I didn't recognise crossed his features.

"Sanders. How are you?" Dave said stiffly, clearly trying to be polite but it was obvious he wasn't pleased to see this man.

"I'm good man, haven't seen you in a while," Sanders said, it was in quite a jovial manner but there was a dark undertone - almost threatening.

Dave told him he'd been busy and looked back at me.
"Gracie, this is Sanders. Gracie's my girlfriend."

I didn't understand who Sanders was and didn't want to ask Dave because he'd obviously not told me deliberately. Sanders looked pretty scary and I didn't like the way he was looking at us, but I smiled politely.

"Good to see you man," Dave said before standing up and pulling my chair out so we could leave the restaurant. It was getting late and we'd finished dessert already so I didn't mind.

"Ayy you've gone soft," Sanders chuckled, gesturing at Dave pulling out my chair.

Dave's jaw clenched and I was worried about what he was going to do.

"I haven't gone soft, I just know how to treat my girl," he responded.

"Your girl? What happened to her being just another bitch you fu-"

He was cut off when Dave's fist collided with his face. I squealed and tried to pull Dave away but he shrugged me off and got involved in a fight with Sanders. They were both bloody and beaten when the staff pulled them apart. Dave looked at me with so much emotion in his eyes but I couldn't even face him as I stormed out the restaurant crying.

I had to drive home and he kept trying to talk to me but I couldn't face talking to him.

"Gracie?"
"Baby please!"
"It wasn't my fault."
"Please talk to me."

He finally gave up and the rest of the journey was spent in silence.