6

6
I hadn't slept with Dave since I met Dan because we were really hitting it off. We went on a date and called each other every day and he was lovely. James was really happy for me because it meant I wasn't worried about how Dave was acting. Dave on the other hand had been completely ignoring me; he wasn't even rude and never tried to flirt, just went back to pretending I didn't exist.

I pushed him out of my head whenever I was with Dan and tried to enjoy myself. Dan asked me to be his girlfriend on our second date and we were going strong. I stayed over at his place a few times and met his friends so we were quite serious even though things were moving very quickly.

Betsy and Douglas even invited Dan over to dinner which was nice and afterwards they told me they approved and he was a nice boy. They were like parents to me now and always treated me like family which was what I loved about them. James and Dan had a lot in common and got on well too, but Dave didn't want anything to do with him.

"Why does Dave not like me?" Dan asked one night when Dave wouldn't even shake his hand.

"Don't worry, he doesn't like anyone. Also he hates me at the moment so he's being rude to you to get to me."

"Why does he hate you?" Dan asked.

I explained how Dave and I were friends with benefits for a bit but we stopped when I met Dan and Dave didn't like it. Dan suddenly said he had to go and didn't answer his phone for three days. It really got me down because I was worried about him, and James had to have a movie night with ice cream with me to cheer me up. I got a call from Dan and James left so I could answer it.

When he came back in, I told him what Dan had said; apparently he didn't like that I still lived with Dave after what had happened, even though I told him I had nowhere else to go. He broke up with me over the call and even blocked my number straight away. I was crying my eyes out into James' chest at the end of it when Dave walked in.

"What's up with her?" Dave asked, sounding bored rather than genuinely caring.

"Dan's just broken up with her."

"Because of you!" I spat at him, storming upstairs and slamming the door.

Betsy came in to make me feel better and even Douglas said I'd find a nicer boy. James came in to stay goodnight and offered to go to the cinema with me tomorrow but I told him I'd rather stay at home. I'd turned the light off and just got into bed when Dave came in.

"I'm sorry about what happened with Dan."

"No you're not, you didn't like him."

"Well then I'm sorry he hurt you. He shouldn't have broken up with you because of me - it's not like we were dating," Dave said.

I just nodded and he left the room; at least he wasn't ignoring me any more. I told myself I was going to have a break from dating and boys in general because I needed to focus on myself, but it turned out the best way to focus on myself and get over Dan was to be with Dave again.

James didn't approve of him and I being 'back at it' as he put it, but it was only some harmless fun to keep me busy I told him. Dave and I were never official because it wasn't a relationship, but we agreed that each other should be the only people we were sleeping with to be safe.

I thought we were quite clear on that.