8

8
"I even broke my rule for you."

"What rule?" I asked.

"I never hook up with the same girl more than once," he stated.

Come to think of it, I'd never seen the same girl in the house the morning after.

"You never told me that."

"Because I didn't want it to be just once with you. Don't you see - you're bad for me; I don't know who I am anymore and I'm not used to have feelings for people."

He turned to walk away but I grabbed his arm.

"Dave wait! If that's all true then why don't we work something out? Is it really that bad that you actually have feelings?"

"Yes because I'm used to feeling numb and now I don't know what to do. I'm trying to ignore you before I turn soft and you make it hard because every time I see you I just - eugh."

"We can work it out together - please don't ignore me," I said softly.

He frowned and looked at me with a pained look as if it hurt to even look at me before walking away. This time I let him go and went to bed. The door opened though shortly after and he climbed in beside me.

"I don't think it's going to help either of us if we sleep together after everything we've just said," I told him, even though I had been the one trying to sleep with him earlier.

He shuffled around until he had his back pressed against my chest and his knees up to his chin.

"I just want to stay here," he whispered.

I'd never seen him look so vulnerable curled up in front of me and decided I liked the softer side of him. I wrapped my arms and legs around him and he didn't move away when I held his hands. We weren't used to intimacy or affection because our hookups were quite a heat of the moment ordeal rather than romantic.

When I woke up, he was still faced away from me but I was the big spoon and he didn't seem to mind me wrapped around him. I thought about everything that had been said last night and how I felt about him.

When I first met Dave, he hadn't made the best impression but he'd flirted with me from the beginning. He was charming and mysterious and the first time we'd slept together, he gave me a feeling I'd never had with anyone. But then he'd been rude and ignored me for no reason. Then we'd slept together again. It was a viscous circle of his mood swings and everything revolved around him. Did I really want to keep playing games?

I couldn't stay away from him and we'd tried to keep apart before but we both kept coming back. We had two choices - one of us would have to move out or we could have a proper relationship. Looking down at Dave's face while he slept I knew which option I'd prefer.

He woke up and jumped out of bed.
"Why am I still here?" He asked looking panicked.

"You slept here remember?" I said softly.

He held my gaze for a while before nodding and relaxing his shoulders.
"We should probably talk about last night."

I nodded and sat on the bed next to him but we weren't touching.

"We can't keep up with these meaningless hookups now that there's feelings involved," I said.

"I agree - I should leave then we can both get over each other," he said.

I stared at him and he just looked at me blankly.

"So you don't want to try a relationship?" I asked weakly.

"I told you - I don't do relationships, sweetheart."

He left and I tried not to cry as I watched him go. I really thought he'd want to try and be with me. I shut myself in my room for the rest of the day, I told James, Betsy and Douglas that I was feeling unwell so they wouldn't disturb me.