Chapter Sixteen

***

Monday seemed to creep up on you. You groaned as you realised the early time. You hated getting up early, but were used to it by now. You got out of bed, eating an apple and a chocolate bar from one of your bags for breakfast. You made your way to class and sat in your chair, sitting down and resting your eyes. Shoto walked in, slowly taking off the scarf you had given him. Soon, the rest of the class entered, chattering excitedly. You were curious.

"Hey Shoto, is something going on?"

He looked at you calmly.

"You haven't heard? The U.A. Sports Festival is starting tomorrow. Although very few seem to have trained for this year..."

You gulped. You didn't train, because you had no idea this was coming. Aizawa emerged from his sleeping bag. He looked more tired than usual, and spoke slowly.

"Listen... I'm not repeating this. The first-years are participating in the sports festival today. You have the whole of today to train - tomorrow, you compete with the rest of your form in the sports festival. You better not show me up, last year was terrible. Go spar or whatever... The results are in your hands."

And, with that, he disappeared back into his sleeping bag. Every one cheered, racing out of the classroom, while you walked beside Shoto. He picked up his side bag, and you walked alongside him. He kept his gaze forward before speaking.

"I know we're friends, so that's why I want you to know - I'm aiming for the top this year. So if it comes down to it... I won't hesitate to beat you."

You grinned, which took Shoto by suprise. 

"It would not be fair if you took it easy on me. I am aiming to win as well, so you better prepare yourself... Todoroki."

Shoto smirked. This was the first time he was seeing this side of you - the unrefined competitive side. Perhaps this year's festival would be fun. Both of you soon arrived at a large field and placed your bags down. 

"Well, let's-"

Shoto froze the blast of water heading to him as he was cut off mid-sentence. You had one hand extended, smirking playfully, ready for a fight. Pillars of ice shot up from the ground, which you dodged, although one scratched your face -  two beads of blood dropped from your cheek, which you wiped away. You both began shooting attacks at each other, you dodging his attacks as quickly as you could. However, you turned, suprised, as the ground started to rumble. Ice shot up around you.

Had he done it? Had he beaten you? He walked up to the giant ice structure, peering in through the ice. He couldn't see you... That's when he realised his mistake. You used your quirk to propell yourself in the air, somersaulting gracefully, before landing behind Shoto and shooting a high-pressure blast straight at him, sending him crashing into the ice. He looked down for a moment, not moving. Now it was your turn to be concerned. Was he okay? You nervously stepped forward until-

Before you knew it, Shoto had kicked your stomach, sending you flying backwards and onto the floor. He had used friendship against you. You sat up, before using your quirk to shoot yourself upwards. And it was here that you made a fatal mistake - Shoto's fire was evaporating your stream, and you soon came crashing down, catching yourself at the last minute in a bubble of water. You two started to physically spar, snowflakes and rain falling around your epic battle. Suddenly, you felt yourself falling over, and grabbed Shoto to steady yourself. Unfortunately, it didn't work, as Shoto fell down with you. When you opened your eyes, you saw a blushing Shoto inches away from your face. Somehow, neither of you wanted to move... For the first time, you had the temptation to kiss him. Shoto moved first, slowly moving his head towards yours- 

"(Y/N)!"

You both jumped up, acting like nothing happened, as a grinning Ochaco came running over. Luckily, she hadn't noticed the scene she had walked into. A blushing Izuku was behind her. He had seen it.

"O-Ochaco, maybe we should-"

Todoroki looked straight at Izuku.

"Have you gotten stronger, Midoriya? I want to see if you can beat me."

And with that, the two of you separated. Even so, the memory still lingered on both of your minds. And it was blissful.

***