Chapter Twenty-Eight

***

What happened next was all a blur. Flashing lights, doctors, blood - your mind was in overload. You couldn't think straight. Why had Shoto saved you? You'd be much happier unconscious, not having to go through this. Your arm somehow felt numb, the pain long forgotten as you sat where the dying boy once was. Blood was creeping up the legs of your hero suit, but you didn't care. Crystal drops seemed to dilute the blood. Tears? Of course you were crying.

You tried to take deep breathes, regaining yourself. Shoto wouldn't have wanted you to be a mess. Even when you wiped the tears away, a flood seemed to restart. You tightly hugged yourself as you felt another flashback forcing its iron grip onto you.

Please... Not now...

You sat there, hearing the devastating news. Tears streamed down your already wet cheeks as the woman towered before you.

"This is all your fault, y'know? Disaster seems to follow you everywhere. Stupid girl - you're lucky Endeavour is paying so much to have you here. Else you'd be booted out."

Your fragile body shook with tears - this was your fault, you were pathetic, alone and useless...

You aggressively pounded your fist on the floor. Maybe she was right. Shoto had been such an idiot in saving you...

"(Y/N)! W-what happened?"

You couldn't face Ochaco. Tears flooded down, and your arm was numb. Only an hour ago you were holding his hand in the sun... Ochaco walked round to face you, before she pulled you into a hug. All restraints inside you released, and you let out a sob. The thin shock layer had been removed, and now you were exposed. It took half an hour before you could finally pull yourself together. Your throat was hoarse, and you were exhausted.

"(Y/N)... Can you tell me what happened now?"

You nodded, no longer crying.

"Sh-Shoto... We were attacked. I was about to get shot, probably fatally but he saved me. But h-he- he- Shoto took the blast for me. And now..."

Ochaco looked very upset, but she knew she couldn't lose it - else how would she comfort you?

"That's awful... But (Y/N), both Recovery Girl and a load of ambulances were here. She can use her kiss to heal his vitals, and they can take care of the rest. I'm sure of it!"

You shook your head. That would be too easy. He couldn't simply be fine... At that moment, Ochaco gasped.

"Your arm! (Y/N), we have to get you to a medic, that looks terrible!"

You had forgotten about it, but now your attention was brought back to its bruised and swollen state. It hurt badly. So badly you quickly blacked out.

***

You soon woke up, now in a hospital room. You quickly jumped up, reaching for some bags that were close to your bed side. Inside was a note.

Hi (Y/N),
It's me, Ochaco. You blacked out from the pain so you were brought here, along with some of your clothes. Just ring the bell, and you'll get your final check-up before leaving.
P.S. Shoto's alive, in the Kamino ward.
- Ochaco

You clasped a hand to your mouth, trying to regain your breathing. He was okay. He was alive. You changed, using your bandaged arm carelessly. You wore a simple maroon tank top and black leggings. Something simple. A nurse soon came, giving you a final check over.

"Luckily, Recovery Girl regained her energy enough to heal your bones. The muscles and tendons in your arm are still damaged, so you have to frequently change your bandage and try to rest your arm. Other than that, you're good to go. Please sign here. Goodbye Miss (L/N). "

You bowed, thanking her, before tearing down to the reception. You soon found Shoto's room, before slowly opening the door. Inside, he was laying peacefully on a bed. He had tubes connected to his arm, and his otherwise bare chest had bandages wrapped around the injury. You sat down on the guest chair, and held his hand. Silent tears rolled down your cheeks as you listened to the beeping of the heart monitor. He was alive.

Shoto was going to be okay.