1: In Which She Loves Him From Afar

Princess Ariana

I promised myself the last twelve times that I would never do this again, but no matter the amount of embarrassment I will face if caught peeping on him, I cannot help it. He is a magnet that I cannot resist.

I still remember the day that I fell in love with him. It was my seventh birthday and I was wearing a pretty pink lace dress, and my favourite maid Clarence had just braided my waist-length hair. There was cause for a double celebration throughout the land, as we had just defeated the awful Midean's, our next-door country (now a part of modern day Ushor) that declared war on us. It was a hard and gruelling battle, and although we reigned victorious, we lost many good men. One such person was a family friend, and Captain of the Royal Guard, who died protecting my father. His wife had died years before, leaving their only son an orphan.

His name is Jacob Blake Anthony Richardson, but I have always called him the affectionate term of Coby. It was on my birthday that the terrible news that his father had been killed in action was delivered him, but he took it like a soldier with a wobbling lip before excusing himself from the room. He was so strong and brave for a little boy, and even though a horrific event had occurred in his life, he still wished me a happy birthday and gave me a kiss on my cheek, melting my heart, before running away to grieve in peace. Later on, my parents King Fenston and Queen Giovanna invited him to come and live with us in the castle, and continue to train with the guard to take his father's place someday. We were already friends, but because we then lived together and he was treated like another child to my parents, we formed an unbreakable bond – or so I thought.

I have now been painfully in love with Coby for eleven years, whilst he still refuses to see me as anything but a sister and best friend. I love him for his kindness, his selflessness and for his loving nature. There is nothing that I do not love about him. He is also very easy to look at, with tanned caramel skin, the most vivid green eyes to rival fresh spring grass, which are framed by sooty black lashes, and plump lips that I am sure are perfect for kissing. I would know since we were each other's first kiss when I was ten and he was eleven, as we were playing weddings.

Anyway, right now I am currently spying on him from the third story window, watching him privately train with Captain Yohana (the current Captain of the Guard), which he does every other day. Today they are training using swords, and each flex of his muscles and nimble footing makes me swoon. He has been training to be the next Captain since he was a small child, meaning now he is an elite warrior at the top of his class at age nineteen. Everything about him is so attractive and perfect... how could I ever love anyone else? I have never even thought of marrying anyone but him, as he owns my heart completely. He is just so handsome, kind and wonderful; the perfect man. The best part is that he is not scared to be himself around me, and always treats me normally instead of a perfect princess. With his constant goodness in my life, he has unknowingly made sure that I do not become an entitled brat, or think too much of myself. Although I love her as a sister, this happened to my other best friend Princess Bellatrix, who got married last year. If it were not for her now husband, I am sure she would still be rude, cynical and an uproar even now. She had a beautiful spring wedding, with me starring as her only bridesmaid, and though of course I am happy for her that she found her true love, I am very envious of her circumstances. She is so lucky to be married and living in bliss with her love, whilst I am still very much single. If only Coby was in love with me, then I would be truly happy and content.

"You know, one of these days either Captain Yohana or Jacob is going to look up and catch you spying on them." A teasing voice rings out behind me, causing me to jump and blush.

"Leo! Do not sneak up on me like that!" I chastise my older brother.

I am the youngest of three, and the only girl, meaning my mother and father dote on me. Do not be mistaken though – from having two older brothers I have often been teased and kicked down (leading to many scolding's on why fighting does not befit a lady), meaning I have somewhat hard skin. Octavius is my oldest brother and next in line for the Ushorian throne, and he is very loud and insensitive at times, but has a brilliant mind for battle strategies and is a fearsome warrior. He is like my father in looks and actions, looking like a bear at twenty-four years old with muscles the size of my head, and so tall we have altered doorframes. Although, he is a little reckless meaning he is often chastised. He is currently courting Lady Aurelia Siegfried, and a marriage is expected imminently between the two. She is very beautiful and manages to keep my brother in check, so I believe she will make a wonderful Queen. Leonardo and I are the quieter siblings, preferring to be in the library then in the field training or socialising, and sinking into the background effortlessly.

Leo is very kind and a little shy, meaning he is often overlooked because of Octavius' brashness and natural tendency to steal all of the attention, but we have always been the closest, even though he is four years older then I. Let me put it this way – as a child Octavius would pull my dolls heads off, where as Leo was always there to wipe my tears and glue them back on. Leo is in a romantic situation as difficult as mine is, as he has fallen for one of the maids, Luella. She is a diamond in the rough, very quiet but a hard worker, and her beautiful pale skin and golden locks captured Leo's attention immediately - as well as everybody else's. Ushorian's are a naturally dark skinned people (which is probably something to do with the fact it is always hot), and Luella is the only pale and blonde haired person in the Palace, meaning she stands out substantially.

My siblings and I are rather light for Ushorian people because my mother is white and comes from the far-away land of Agros; we are a mix. Coby is also mixed because his father was Ushorian and his mother was originally my mother's maid, meaning she came to Ushor from Agros to serve my family. The sad thing is, because Luella has no status and Leo is currently second in line for the throne, the law and lords of the land would never allow a courtship between them, let alone a marriage! They would have to run away to another country for it to work, meaning I would never see my brother again, but Luella has already told him that they will not elope. She loves him too much to pull him away from his life, meaning she has to continue to serve him whilst he watches sadly from afar (apart from a few secret kisses only I am privy to).

If I was Queen, I would make sure you are allowed to marry for love – after all, love is meant to conquer all.

"Sorry Ari, but I did not sneak – you were too preoccupied with staring at Jacob to realise I was coming! Anyway, mother and father have sent the maids out looking for you, and I thought you may be hovering around somewhere spying on your crush, and I was right." He reveals with a wicked grin.

"Leo! Stop teasing me so. What do mother and father want?" I ask, feeling quite embarrassed.

"I am not sure, but I know that they are waiting for you in father's office."

"Oh ok, thank you for letting me know. I better go see what they require from me." I reply, curious as to what they could want.

"See you later Ari, and remember, just listen to what they have to say."

"Oh, so you do know what this is about?" I accuse.

"Maybe, maybe not. Just go find out." He rolls his eyes playfully, running a hand through his long chocolate locks, which needed to be cut years ago.

Now I am even more curious to find out what is going on, and hurriedly make my way down the bright hallway to the winding stairs, paved with the finest purple carpets.

I hope you have enjoyed this first chapter guys! Please support me by voting and commenting if you did! xo

Edited