4: In Which She Meets Her Match

Princess Ariana

Coby does not love me. He just... does not. This is the most painful moment in my life. I am obviously not good enough for him. With this information in mind, I have decided that I will marry Prince Jasper. I may not care for him, but it will please my father, strengthen Ushor and at least I will not die completely alone. I do not expect to learn to love him, as the only man my heart will ever sing for is Coby, but alas, he refuses to look at me as anything but a sister. I will always love him, although my deep feelings are not to be returned.

For the past two days, I have faked being sick with a fever and sprained ankle (although there is an actual pain in my heart making it difficult to breathe), only allowing my mother and the doctor to visit me. Coby has insistently tried to reach out but I denied his requests. He is probably wondering why I will not grant him entry to my chambers, as usually we share everything with each other, but I cannot bare to see him whilst the wound is still so raw. It would be like rubbing salt into an injury. Today I am pretending to be miraculously better to escape bed rest, as Prince Jasper is entering into our territory soon. I am curious to meet him, although I know there will not be any sparks or romantic interest between us. If I find him to be agreeable, then I shall become his wife on paper only.

My maids have gotten me sufficiently dressed up to meet Prince Jasper, adorning me with the finest heavy, twinkling jewels and a deep navy blue frock tight around my torso with elegant puffed sleeves and gold embroidery. My hair has been twisted into a fine updo, with golden ribbons decorating the thick brunette strands. A fine layer of powder has been applied to my face, evening the texture and making me look more radiant.

"He is here your highness, in the throne room with your father." My maid Prissy squeals as she erupts into my room.

"Thank you Prissy, I shall be right down." I smile at her kindly, although I do not feel very excited or happy about the situation. I am somewhat numb at the moment.

As I make my way through the sunny halls, I try to relax and work on my smile, although it is very hard to do so. How can I be happy when I am planning on signing my life away? The emotionless portraits of my ancestors hang from the walls in ornate gold castings, each unsmiling and cold, casting a sombre mood as I walk towards the vast oak doors leading to the throne room. Dawson and Cade are on guard today, and each send me a smile I struggle to return, as they open the doors and announce my presence. I stumble in the doorway when I notice how many people are inside. As well as my father, mother and brother Octavius, Prince Jasper and around twelve people behind him each pin me with their beady eyes as I enter. I am surprised at such an extravagant audience, but quickly resume my unaffected composure and gracefully waltz towards the party, curtsying towards my father, and then Prince Jasper.

I instantly know which one is he, as a tall silver crown adorned with red rubies on the points is nestled on a thick head of black hair. His eyes are like onyx beads framed with stubby lashes, and he has a blade nose, which seems to end in a point and burrowed cheekbones. I cannot help but be impressed by his dominating height and large muscles, proving he is very fit and active. Although he is certainly pleasant looking, maybe even a little handsome, I cannot help but compare him to Coby. The two are immeasurably different. Where Jasper is pale, Coby is tanned, where Coby has beautiful naturistic emerald eyes Jasper's are an almost demonic black, and where Jasper has bulging muscles, Coby is more lean although proudly built. Both boys are mesmerising.

"Ah, Princess Ariana! You are even more radiant then I have heard." Prince Jasper charmingly quips as he steps forward to take my hand and kiss it whilst bowing to me.

"Prince Jasper, it is most lovely to make your acquaintance. I trust your travel was pleasant?" I ask.

"Well it was certainly worth it to meet you." He grins, causing me to chuckle slightly for the first time in days.

Well, he certainly seems to be nice, although he does not cause my heart to race or stomach to flutter like Coby always effortlessly does.

"It is nice to see you two becoming acquainted." My father chuckles suggestively from his lofty throne, causing my cheeks to paint themselves a raspberry red colour. "Why don't you show Jasper around the grounds Arianna? I am sure he would be most grateful." My father suggests whilst winking.

Sighing I nod and motion for Jasper to follow me, who thankfully leaves his entourage behind. Jasper takes my arm in his and starts talking animatedly about the grandness of my castle and his Kingdom. I am glad he takes the lead in conversation, so that all I have to do is occasionally mumble a 'yes'. He proves himself to be well educated as he nearly talks my ear off about architecture, literature and the fine arts. His Kingdom, Aclein, is known for its creativeness and impressive structures. He also manages to coax a little conversation out of me, as he has such a calm and easy-going manner, which makes him easy to relax around and talk too. I cannot help but like him, which is annoying, although I know that there will never be anything more then friendship between us.

"Thank you for accompanying me this fine afternoon Princess. I have enjoyed your companionship, and will make sure to visit your gardens often whilst I stay here. Your mother's roses and flowerbeds are a delight one simply must not miss out on. Also... I am aware that you have turned my marriage proposal down, but I hope we can be friends." He suggests as we trail through the maze of plants and bushes that make up my mother's private virtuosic garden.

"Well... speaking about that... I have changed my mind." I begin nervously, one side of me screaming no and the other reminding me of Coby's rejection. That side wins. "I will agree to a courtship with you, and maybe, in time, marriage." I explain with a shaky voice.

What am I doing?

"Really?" Jasper gasps, stopping and turning me around to look at him. "Oh, that is splendid news! Your beauty is unparalleled, and our Kingdoms will benefit greatly from this arrangement."

"Of course." I agree, pleased that he is not emphasising on or expecting love.

Maybe this will not be so bad after all, if we both treat it like an arrangement rather then a bond.

"Ariana!" A shocked voice calls out behind me, causing me to gasp and freeze. "Ariana?" He asks again, when I ignore him. "What are you doing?" He prods.

"How dare you talk to your princess like that? Show her some respect." Jasper chastises, causing me to turn around hurriedly.

"Oh no, it is fine, do not worry Jasper. This is C-Coby. My friend." I explain, and when I lock eyes with Coby I want to run to him and never let go, but I quickly try to squash the feeling.

Coby frowns at our linked arms and crosses his own distastefully, giving me a questioning look.

"Coby, this is Prince Jasper. I am courting him." I reveal, and I am ashamed to say I feel victorious when Coby's jaw drops and he looks aggravated.

"I see." He mutters, glaring at Jasper who victoriously pulls me closer. "Well, I am glad to see your foot is miraculously better Ari, and I hope you two are happy together." He mutters, although even he does not look like he believes his words.

With that, he turns around and storms off, making my heart ache to be close to him, although I just watch him bitterly walk away. Jasper sniffs arrogantly and makes it clear he is not happy with Coby's reaction to him, calling him rude and barbaric for not bowing to either one of us, but I cannot help but tune out, confused by Coby's reaction. He has a stellar reputation around the castle for his kindness and friendliness to all, so for him to be rude to a foreign Prince there must be something affecting his judgements.

Could he... could he be jealous?

No, surely not. He only loves me as a sister.

Edited