3: In Which He Is Clueless To His Own Feelings

Coby

Ariana wants to get married? What is the sudden rush? She has never really been interested in the topic, and whenever anyone mentions it, she blushes adorably. The thought of her getting married to some Prince, meaning she will have to leave Ushor is very unsettling. Hell, the very idea of her getting married is displeasing. I know that one day she will find someone and leave me, being a very desirable Princess, but I just did not expect it to happen so soon. We have always been together and inseparable; I cannot imagine not seeing her beautiful face every day or being apart for an extended period of time. The whole notion is just... wrong.

"Focus Jacob! If you want to become Captain, you have to always have your wits about you and be aware of every possible danger to the Royal Family!" Captain Yohana growls as my opponents Levi and Wolf bring me down to one knee.

We are practicing hand-to-hand combat (one of my specialities) and as I am at the top of the class and so skilled at it, I have to go against two men at a time. Usually I would be winning easily, but my mind keeps wandering to other things – mainly Ariana. She has always been the centre of my life, and without her, I just do not know what I will do.

Sending an uppercut Wolf's way, and then punching Levi, I am given a few moments to breathe. They are both my main competitors from noble families and very good fighters, but they will never be as good as me, as this is my life; my air. I have to live up to my father's memory and make him proud – being the Captain of the Royal Guard is the only thing I ever want to do. Everyone else has money and a title to fall back on, but not me. Most of the men I train with (especially Wolf) are not that nice to me because I am top of the class, and I constantly beat everyone, damaging their precious egos. It also does not help that I live in the Palace, and my best friend is the untouchable Princess who refuses to give any of them the time of day. They say that I do not deserve the title of Captain, and I would only get it because of my connections to the Royal Family. In honesty though, I work harder then them all.

I know they are just jealous, but sometimes they take it excessively far, and bring Ariana into their teasing. They have all learned not to defile her name now though, when Finnick was carried out of the grounds on a stretcher, never to return, because he said something crude about her. There have been a few times over the years when I have gotten into fights on Ariana's behalf, not that I would ever tell her that though. She would feel so bad and guilty, and dismiss the offenders from the castle herself. I could not do that to her. Her tears kill me. She has such a fiercely protective nature, and she has always been there for me just as I will always be there for her.

I do not know what will happen to our relationship once she gets married though. It will be hard to keep in contact if she is on another continent, and any trouble she may face will result in her having to rely on someone else. That does not sound good at all. What if something awful happens because I am not there to protect her? I punch Wolf harder as a result of that thought. This Prince will not be good enough for her. I just know it. No one is. She is the kindest, sweetest soul you could ever meet. No one could compare to her, which contributes to me planning never to get married.

When I become Captain of the guard, I will not have time for frivolous things such as love. I will be married to my work, and expected to sacrifice my life like my father did for those in my care. I would not want to put such stress and worry on a potential family every time I walk out the door.

Anyway, it is not as if I am spoilt for choice – there is no one I gel with or could see myself spending my life with. Well, apart from Ariana. She is the only girl I have ever cared and loved, and I cannot simply replace her! Of course, it is not romantic love that I share with Ariana; I would not court her, but still our bond is so close sometimes I do feel like we are married (minus the dose of romance of course). Someday she really will find a love of her own, whilst I stay here, protecting her family.

"And Jacob has won! Levi, Wolf, fifteen laps around the field for losing – again." Captain Yohana barks out once I manage to floor the two groaning imbeciles.

I may never have success with a woman, but for now just being a Guard is enough. Being Captain is the greatest honour a soldier could receive, and it is in my destiny. The only person I would put it in jeopardy for is Ariana, but of course, it will never come to that.

I hope you like this chapter guys! Make sure to check out my other works! xoxo

Edited